Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Tandy External Disk Drive help

  1. #1

    Default Tandy External Disk Drive help

    I have 3 Tandy external disk drives. I believe I could use these with my Tandy HX computer (one 3.5" and two 5.25"). I got these in a lot of other stuff and the cables were not included. They have a small plug next to the card edge where you would attach the cable. How did these hook up to the computer? Did they have an external power source or get power from the computer? Can I get the cables anywhere?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    774

    Default

    What are the catalog numbers of the three external drives?

    With the numbers I can help ascertain the suitability of these drives for MS-DOS application.

    Ian.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ohio/USA
    Posts
    6,222
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    The drives got power from the cable to the computer (for the HX external drives).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

  4. #4

    Default

    I've noticed on some EX/HX Machines and External Drives a (I assume) ground wire has been added - any idea why these were deemed necessary on some units?

    clients-fastdrop-photo_sets-160778-DSC00436.JPG
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Synth: Roland MT-32

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRS-Ian View Post
    What are the catalog numbers of the three external drives?
    Doh, I didn't even think to check that catalog number. They are 25-1061 for the 3.5" drive and 25-1060B for the 5.25" drive. Can I still find the ribbon cables for these somewhere?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Gribnitz; June 10th, 2017 at 06:07 PM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gribnitz View Post
    Doh, I didn't even think to check that catalog number. They are 25-1061 for the 3.5" drive and 25-1060B for the 5.25" drive. Can I still find the ribbon cables for these somewhere?

    Thanks!

    You can't even buy 30 pin edge connector with IDC termination anymore, I've been looking for weeks!

    I've managed to find some 30 pin edge connector's designed for through hole PCB mounting so I'm just going to solder them direct to the ribbon cable.

    If I'm successful making one for myself, I'd be happy to make you one if you like?
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Synth: Roland MT-32

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    I've managed to find some 30 pin edge connector's designed for through hole PCB mounting so I'm just going to solder them direct to the ribbon cable.

    If I'm successful making one for myself, I'd be happy to make you one if you like?
    That would be fantastic! I love this Tandy HX, but most of my software is 5.25". I have found the 3.5" disks seem to go bad a lot faster than 5.25" as well. Please let me know if you get them to work!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gribnitz View Post
    That would be fantastic! I love this Tandy HX, but most of my software is 5.25". I have found the 3.5" disks seem to go bad a lot faster than 5.25" as well. Please let me know if you get them to work!
    No worries, I have about 10 connectors coming so I can easily make more cables if they work. I'm hoping they are here by the end of the month and I'll report back in this topic.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Synth: Roland MT-32

  9. #9

    Default

    dJOS,
    Why can't you use a standard 34 Pin Edge Card Connector with a bit of the plastic milled off each end so it goes into the slot in the case.
    You could even insert two of the keying devices in the connector so it fits nicely on the 30 Pin connector. It shouldn't take long to mill
    a bit off each end to get things to fit properly.

    Another option would be to get some of the long tail headers from:
    http://www.king-cart.com/phoenixent/...KAWAY+.1SP+STR

    Part Number = HWS3835
    2x20 Header .1sp Long Tails .340 .230

    and push them into a standard Socket connector, then cut the long ends so they could be soldered to the existing
    circuit board on both sides. The Socket Connectors are also 34 Pin.

    Larry

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    dJOS,
    Why can't you use a standard 34 Pin Edge Card Connector with a bit of the plastic milled off each end so it goes into the slot in the case.
    You could even insert two of the keying devices in the connector so it fits nicely on the 30 Pin connector. It shouldn't take long to mill
    a bit off each end to get things to fit properly.

    Another option would be to get some of the long tail headers from:
    http://www.king-cart.com/phoenixent/...KAWAY+.1SP+STR

    Part Number = HWS3835
    2x20 Header .1sp Long Tails .340 .230

    and push them into a standard Socket connector, then cut the long ends so they could be soldered to the existing
    circuit board on both sides. The Socket Connectors are also 34 Pin.

    Larry
    That's an option but imo it'd be ugly, at least with the connectors I've bought, I can shrink tube over the soldering so it'll look decent. I also don't want to Frankenstein my 1000ex either by soldering header pins onto the edge connector.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Synth: Roland MT-32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •