Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tandy External Disk Drive help

Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    PS, this pic shows the adapter installed the right way up - the edge connector is at the bottom and the Ribbon cable connector is at the top. The ribbon cable physically cant be installed the wrong way as it's keyed.

Ok, not familiar with these external drives. What is that external plug that hangs out the back of the drives? When I got my three drives, I assumed they were missing the power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribnitz View Post
    Yeah! Super happy this appears it will work out. I haven't checked back in a while and it appears you made a lot of progress the past couple weeks!
    Indeed, the adaptors just need to be tested now.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    FS: Brand New Tandy 1000 Adapters

Ok, not familiar with these external drives. What is that external plug that hangs out the back of the drives? When I got my three drives, I assumed they were missing the power supply.
    It's just a chassis ground wire that connects to the computer, it's seems that most owners had them added for some reason. On my ex the ground wire is connected to one of the expansion slot screws.

I wonder if there was some sort of chassis static charge buildup in the external floppy drives that this mitigated.
    My Retro Collection:
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD

Blog Entries

Electrical noise (e.g. ground loops) can raise havoc in disk drives. Maintaining a good chassis ground throughout is a way to avoid the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Electrical noise (e.g. ground loops) can raise havoc in disk drives. Maintaining a good chassis ground throughout is a way to avoid the problem.
    Considering there's already 8 ground lines in the original cable design, it does seem odd that this extra chassis ground wire is needed.
    My Retro Collection:

Ok I've paid the post office a visit and crunched the numbers and the Adapter is $19 USD + Shipping which is $5 USD (covers my PP fees too) so total cost is $24 USD shipped to USA / Canada. Delivery time should only be about a week to the USA - I've heard to Canada is really really freaking slow so apparently anywhere from 2-8 weeks depending on where you are is normal.

Anyhoo, still waiting on my leviton Power plug (which is due next week) to test the Adapters..
    My Retro Collection:

the Adapter is $19 USD + Shipping which is $5 USD (covers my PP fees too) so total cost is $24 USD shipped to USA / Canada.
    Wonderful. Let me know when all is lined up to go and PM me a paypal addy. It will be nice to be able to use a 5.25" drive on my HX soon.

Wonderful. Let me know when all is lined up to go and PM me a paypal addy. It will be nice to be able to use a 5.25" drive on my HX soon.
    No worries.
    My Retro Collection:

PS, this pic shows the adapter installed the right way up - the edge connector is at the bottom and the Ribbon cable connector is at the top. The ribbon cable physically cant be installed the wrong way as it's keyed.

Good news folks, my drive adapter works perfectly!

My Retro Collection:

Fantastic! Do you have others made? You can PM me details to paypal for a set.