Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did ever exist an 8-bit ISA card for ATA (IDE) hard drives?

JDR Microdevices sold an 8-bit IDE card, this one has a limit of 528MB drives

DSCF0058.jpg
    DSCF0062.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mikey99 View Post
    Could that limit not be broken by Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) software such as EZBIOS, as you would do on later AT+ machines?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    Could that limit not be broken by Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) software such as EZBIOS, as you would do on later AT+ machines?
    Recall that DDO's use their own low-level driver, not the BIOS one.

I doubt that the I/O port mappings directly correspond to a standard ATA setup. There's usually some sort of adaptation employed to handle the 16-bit to 8-bit translation. In particular, note the 2Kx8 SRAM--that's not part of a usual ATA adapter.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); June 20th, 2017 at 07:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Don't forget there were also many "hardcards" which marry the drive and controller onto the card. Does that qualify? Not sure if you can decouple them and wire up a different drive to the card, but there's an 8-bit IDE-ish HDD adapter for you.

The only period-appropriate 8-bit IDE adapter I own is a Silicon Valley ADP50. The rest are XT-IDE variants of various flavors.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

It depends. A lot of "hard cards" used 3.5" MFM/RLL drives with a bog-standard controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    It depends. A lot of "hard cards" used 3.5" MFM/RLL drives with a bog-standard controller.
    And Tandy's "SmartDrive" hardcards used a Seagate ST-05X or an equivalent Western Digital IDE-XT interface card.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    The only period-appropriate 8-bit IDE adapter I own is a Silicon Valley ADP50. The rest are XT-IDE variants of various flavors.
    Another period-appropriate card was the AccuLogic sIDE-1/16.

The sIDE-1 was an IDE-XT (XTA, 8-bit IDE, whatever you want to call it...) card while the sIDE-1/16 was to use regular IDE-AT / ATA drives with an XT-class machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey99 View Post

DSCF0058.jpg
    DSCF0062.jpg
    I've got several other cards from that company including a 4HD floppy card in 8bit isa. I tried for years to find their 8bit IDE card but could never find one except at insane pricing.

Nice looking board...

framer