Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model I CRT sounds like an angry snake

Default Model I CRT sounds like an angry snake

My Model I monitor sounds like an angry snake inside but only for a bit. It sounds like an angry snake is in there, but it slowly fades away after about 10 minutes. Picture is great. I've got the innards from the crushed one I could canibalize, but the crushed one has two cards on on the main PCB not one, and I haven't checked the snake pit yet.

Since its a Model I I know there isn't a rubber cap on the anode, I haven't opened it up yet but curious if its just dusty inside or a sign its about to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    My Model I monitor sounds like an angry snake inside but only for a bit. It sounds like an angry snake is in there, but it slowly fades away after about 10 minutes. Picture is great. I've got the innards from the crushed one I could canibalize, but the crushed one has two cards on on the main PCB not one, and I haven't checked the snake pit yet.

Since its a Model I I know there isn't a rubber cap on the anode, I haven't opened it up yet but curious if its just dusty inside or a sign its about to die.
    It sounds like arching so I wouldn't use it again until I opened it up and checked it out. I have seen holes burnt into boards from dust caused arching.

I'd get a can of duster spray and a small nozzle for a vacuum, then give it a good cleaning. Be careful of the high voltage supply. I've had dust bunnies creating arcing on the CRT envelope, and it sounds like you describe.

@Tibs

Please remember that the Chassis is LIVE (maybe 230 Volts).
    Please unplug from the Mains before cleaning.

Ray
    If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.
    Procrastinators Unite.
    I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.

Quite possibly the cleanest I have ever seen.

It's the anode hissing. Solution?

Thank for the warnings I respect shock hazards like you don't know. No mefal always arm behind never grounded and yeah this sucker is a hot chassis

PicsIMG_0332.jpgIMG_0330.jpg

Blog Entries

Corona discharge. Because of the strange nature of the anode connection (no rubber cap) the best I can think of is discharge the tube and wipe down around the area.
    Also, high humidity can cause corona issues.
    = Excellent space heater

Ok, I'll discharge it (I've gotten real damn good at this with troubleshooting a 4P card I boogered up recently).

I've been hit by the anode after only a partial discharge, tickles a little, but I always ensure I have good anti grounding principles.

Humidity isn't too bad, garage but I have sensors. 79 degrees and 65%.

IMG_0331.jpgI took a closeup with flash. I think you are onto something. I see what might be flakes and char.

Blog Entries

How strange! I've never seen an anode cap without the rubber cover. I wonder if you could ameliorate the situation by covering the bare conductor with a bit of RTV. I probably have a couple of anode caps with rubber shield in my hellbox, if needed.

Every model I I have opened has been like this. I thought it was odd too. I'm going to clean first, I have some ATV as well. I suspect there is some oxidation on the conductor that could be contributing to the issue. Once it gets warm it stops, so should be fixable.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast