Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox seems to be craps shoot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    That said, I'm typing this in TenFourFox, of course.
    Naturally
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I currently have Firefox installed under Win7. The last update doesn't just nag about Adobe Flash, it just flat out refuses to run it. There is a different version for corporate users (52.2.0 esr) that need Flash, so I just installed that. Everybody hates on Flash, but half the damn internet requires Flash to operate.

Blog Entries

I'm trying out a Browser called Slimjet. Its 32bit and is based on Chome. Not the snappyist but is functioning fine on this P4 with 1.5gigs of ram so far.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

I thought it was a quirk of one Asus / AMD / Win7 machine that rendered some FF content as a black window - this from vers. 4x upward. Submitted bug reports but they were largely ignored.

Finally just removed FF and am currently using IE 11. Not doing anything fancy, though... Updating Flash every few days has become a pain.

Opera? The fat lady has sung.

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    I'm trying out a Browser called Slimjet. Its 32bit and is based on Chome. Not the snappyist but is functioning fine on this P4 with 1.5gigs of ram so far.
    I've been using Slimjet for about 8 months and it seems to be quite decent.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

My last update to Debian 8.x (32 Bit) XFCE installed Firefox 52.0 and it is terrible. I can't even get to gmail or my google drive.
    It just hangs and waits forever.

his morning I updated to 54.0.1 (32 Bit) and also installed the required libstdc++5 library package. So far everything seems to be working,
    as I can get to gmail, download, and access my google drive.

REF:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-firefox-linux

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by GottaLottaStuff View Post
    I currently have Firefox installed under Win7. The last update doesn't just nag about Adobe Flash, it just flat out refuses to run it. There is a different version for corporate users (52.2.0 esr) that need Flash, so I just installed that. Everybody hates on Flash, but half the damn internet requires Flash to operate.
    I might need to look into that. V52 broke Java, also, which we use at work for printing FedEx labels.

Running FF 54 on Mint 17.3 here - no problems, other than the usual FF bloat.

Down the road, I've got my sights set on NetSurf - it's still in alpha be seems really promising and lightweight, too.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaLottaStuff View Post
    ... Everybody hates on Flash, but half the damn internet requires Flash to operate.
    Speaking of which, I thought that adobe was going to drop flash a few years back, but yet, it's still here. I really dislike the internet's heavy use of scripts and flash. I miss the days of simple fast html without all the fluff and glitz (late 90s).