Image Map Image Map

Thread: PEB Issue... Suggestions, help?

Default PEB Issue... Suggestions, help?

Hello. I posted this on another forum, but I want to cross-post here, because I am still in search of a solution. A few months back I picked up a PEB through a poster on this board. I played with it when I got it, and, after a little monkeying around (I believe I maybe had to reseat the disk controller card), I got it to initialize and then write to a disk, and load back from it. All good. Put it aside.

Today I took it out to fire it back up, and I am having an issue.

When I go into the disk manager, I can catalogue the disk I used before, it shows it being in the drive and the name of the file I made, no problem. Go back out to BASIC to load the file with the OLD command, and I get error 50. Write a program and try to save, error 60. Just run the little diagnostic program in the Disk Memory System manual, error 00. I know the codes are telling me the specified drive can't be found. I used the DSK1.x command to try loading and saving, then switched to DSK.[name].[filename]. Neither worked.

Back into Disk Manager, I can still catalogue the disk. I even changed the disk name, successfully, from TI-99/4A to TI994A, thinking maybe the special characters were causing issues. Back out to BASIC, still no dice. Eventually I got to a point where, in the Disk Manager, I got told the disk I was using was not initialized. I figure now that the disk is the issue, but I reformat it just the same, and am told it is successful. then I break out another disk to format and try.

Same results with the second disk. So I *think* I have eliminated the disk as the problem. I also tried reseating the disk controller card. After reseating, same issues. Tried unplugging and reconnecting the cable that runs from the PEB to the computer, also no dice.

Anyone got a clue what is going on?
    Commodore 128 / 1571 / 1581 / 1351 / MPS 1200 / 1084 Monitor / 64NIC+
    Commodore 64 / 1541-II (x 2)
    Commodore Plus/4 / 1551
    TI-99/4A
    Tandy CoCo 2 / Color Computer Mini-Disk 26-3029 (non-working) / Tandy Modem
    Coleco ADAM / Expansion Module 1

Have you cleaned the edge connectors where the floppy cables go? I had a similar problem where some oxidation made the drives unreliable. I treated the edge connectors with Deoxit and the problem went away. Good luck!

What kind of disks are you using? The TI drives were for SSSD disks. (I had similar issues to what you're describing trying to use DSDD disks)

I figured it out... dolt me forgot that the name of the disk drive (DSK) had to be in all caps.

Anyway, I hated to do it, but I wound up selling my TI set up to fund other projects. Perhaps TI and I will meet again some day.
    Commodore 128 / 1571 / 1581 / 1351 / MPS 1200 / 1084 Monitor / 64NIC+
    Commodore 64 / 1541-II (x 2)
    Commodore Plus/4 / 1551
    TI-99/4A
    Tandy CoCo 2 / Color Computer Mini-Disk 26-3029 (non-working) / Tandy Modem
    Coleco ADAM / Expansion Module 1

That's mixed news. I've considered doing the same as means to break into the C64 or CoCo scene - a bit burned out on TI with its weasely community - but then I remember how far the TI and I go back. Hope you do get to meet again.