Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an unknown IBM computer

Question Looking for an unknown IBM computer

Hello, I am looking for an IBM computer that I assume to be manufactured from sometime around the early to mid 1990's. I have been trying to find even a shred of information on this computer for YEARS, but I can't even find a single picture. The closest I've gotten was that it was either a Packard Bell, or an Acer, but I know for a fact that it wasn't. The weird thing about it, is that out of all the people that I have talked about it, claim that it is either a clone of some kind, or they have no idea what I'm even talking about. I swear that it's an IBM, I remember almost everything about it, I will try to answer any questions and describe it the best I can. I will also provide a crude drawing. Any info at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by megabyter View Post
    Hello, I am looking for an IBM computer
    Huh, maybe a PS/1?

I'd love to get more detailed, but with no Type or Model you ask quite a bit.

Have you tried Google Books? Tromp about in the early 90s a bit.

Blog Entries

IBM Ambra design style comes close. Vertical 3.5" floppy on the right side but the first picture I can find has 2 5.25" drive bays. Do a search on it and maybe you can find a single 5.25" bay variation.

http://www.alanwinstanley.com/intern...y-broke-t.html

I've never seen an IBM case with that layout, and I've seen nearly all of them.. There are a few limited-market machines of that era that I have never seen a photo of, that would be the IBM PC 100 and PC 140's of the early 90's.

IBM's went from PS/2 and PS/1 to the PS/Valuepoint, then PC 100/140/300 series, then to the NetVista and Aptiva lines. Unless it was some strange terminal, re-cased, or was a custom job, I'm at a loss.

I don't know of any Post PS/Valuepoint machines that came with a 5.25" floppy by default, perhaps the machine you remember had an optical drive removed and a floppy installed? I've also never known IBM to install a 3.5" vertically in a desktop case. Quite the oddity.

That layout looks identical to my Packard Bell 300SX, though. But with the 3.5 drive installed under the 5.25, and the HDD installed vertically on the side, however those two drive locations could be swapped to show the layout you drew.
    Last edited by zombienerd; June 30th, 2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004. Compaq Contura 4/25C.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, C64. Packard Bell Legend 20CD.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    IBM Ambra design style comes close. Vertical 3.5" floppy on the right side but the first picture I can find has 2 5.25" drive bays. Do a search on it and maybe you can find a single 5.25" bay variation.

http://www.alanwinstanley.com/intern...y-broke-t.html
    I considered the Ambra's as well, but he clearly showed that it had an IBM badge...

I'm figuring it had to have been either a clone that someone badged as an IBM, or an IBM board in a clone case that someone moved the badging over to.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Blog Entries

I have an IBM 486 that is likely what the OP remembers. I'll post a picture when I get home tonight.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by megabyter View Post
    Hello, I am looking for an IBM computer that I assume to be manufactured from sometime around the early to mid 1990's. I have been trying to find even a shred of information on this computer for YEARS, but I can't even find a single picture. The closest I've gotten was that it was either a Packard Bell, or an Acer, but I know for a fact that it wasn't. The weird thing about it, is that out of all the people that I have talked about it, claim that it is either a clone of some kind, or they have no idea what I'm even talking about. I swear that it's an IBM, I remember almost everything about it, I will try to answer any questions and describe it the best I can. I will also provide a crude drawing. Any info at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
    That layout looks a lot like the Packard Bell Machines I got from storage. See here: https://dl.airtable.com/mJiJecSlQySv...422_183856.jpg Probably why you've gotten that answer a lot.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

A vertical 3.5 floppy is very non-IBM. Maybe it wasn't even an IBM. There was a computer manufacturer called IPC, I think they were based in Singapore. What was special about them was that their logo was clearly a rip-off of IBM's. And funnily enough, their logo was blue but they were on the market when IBM computers still had a silver logo. So, I think they were blue before IBM! At least in the PC market.

Here is an IPC: http://www.kergoaler.net/wordpress/w...ipc-386-sx.jpg

They had other models, like one that was based on the design of the IBM PS/2 60 ( http://fr.1001mags.com/images/Couv/L...7-Page-073.jpg) . Pictures and info are extremely hard to find but I could find more.
    • Computers I'm looking for: Olivetti M380-40 • Olivetti M486 • Olivetti M6 620 suprema • HP Vectra VL 6/400

Blog Entries

It could also be a generic Taiwanese case; there were lots of variations on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I have an IBM 486 that is likely what the OP remembers. I'll post a picture when I get home tonight.
    We're waiting with bated breath! I don't think I've ever heard of a real IBM with a vertical 3.5"! Can't wait to see it