Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Photobucket is shutting down Hotlinking

Blog Entries

Old pics are still ok (so far).

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    You can tell the phone to strip the geolocation data from photos it uploads, if you're the worrying type.
    Unless I forget, I usually run the following ImageMagick utility on photos destined for the web:
    $ mogrify -strip *.jpg

Strips all the EXIF metadata in seconds, works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Photobucket is now putting large watermarks on hotlinked/embedded images. "Everybody wins!", according to them:

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/e...cket-watermark
    And now everybody loses. Photobucket's 2017 scheme to hold everyone's photos ransom for a $400 per year subscription fee backfired so badly and they've lost so much revenue that the hotlinked photos which they re-enabled in watermarked form a year later are now heavily blurred, to once again force users to pay for a subscription plan to host and share their photos.

This began as of June 1st, 2019 and applies to all free Photobucket accounts with a hosting bandwidth of more than 25 MB per month, which is extremely easy to exceed now that good-quality digital photos are often several megabytes each.

For example, this now very blurry photo of a CompuAdd 810 on my Photobucket account:

There is a "photobucket embed fix" plugin for firefox that will automatically show non-blurry, non-watermarked photobucket images.

Blog Entries

So I finally got the BIG photobucket nag about exceeding the free bandwidth and stored image count. I have not seen that in over 15 years and I stopped subscribing back in 2014. They have indeed backed down on the original $500 annual price and it's now $75usd.
    To save what I still have I will be paying that fee (I don't subscribe to streaming services so on average there's about $150 annually that just floats around in the budget) but man, the times have indeed changed and yet I still can't encourage almost any other host.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    So I finally got the BIG photobucket nag about exceeding the free bandwidth and stored image count. I have not seen that in over 15 years and I stopped subscribing back in 2014. They have indeed backed down on the original $500 annual price and it's now $75usd.
    To save what I still have I will be paying that fee (I don't subscribe to streaming services so on average there's about $150 annually that just floats around in the budget) but man, the times have indeed changed and yet I still can't encourage almost any other host.
    You really need to fix your SIG.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step