Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reminder - RadioShack auction ends in less than two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by zombienerd View Post
    I'm just glad someone here got the Deskmate lot I was afraid it would end up in a basement and not shared with the world. I'm still fervently searching for 3.04.03, which seems to have become vapor.
    What does 3.04.03 work with specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    What does 3.04.03 work with specifically?
    As you saw in my thread, the RLX "B" model.
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004. Compaq Contura 4/25C.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, C64. Packard Bell Legend 20CD.

I just got back into town from 13+ hours there, 2-3 hours sleep in the car, and 13+ hours back... I will post pics soon and I am planning on recreating a head to head test featured in Byte magazine in Sept 1988 issue of the Tandy 5000 MC vs the IBM PS/2 70 (386/20) as a YouTube review video. I now have like-new machines for both models including perfect condition period correct monitors (VGM-300 and 8503 & 8513s). I also have a Compaq Deskpro 386/20 also featured in the comparison that I might add to the video review. I just need an Everex Step now to make the collection complete!

Quick summary. I previously bought a non-working 5000 MC off eBay in 2014. The old machine appeared completely dead. This new machine also did not work instead POSTing a first 64KB memory failure. I tried many many things eventually combining the old main board and the new CPU plex and now have a booting machine. This is in spite of a spectacularly exploding tantalum cap in the old machine and a floppy cable vaporizing due to a short in the old drive. The NVRAM is dead on both boards. I replaced the DS1227 however I need to order a DS1220 to hold card settings. The old machine didn't have a HD. The new machine's HD is dead (and bearing sounding deader than dead). So I can install anything on it.

However, parked in the floppy drive of the new machine was the TANDY 5000 MC REFERENCE DISK!!!!!!! Here is a link -> https://www.retrotronics.org/downloa...k/?wpdmdl=1649. Anyone that finds it useful, please pay it forward and keep these unicorns roaming the pasture!

The Radio Shack auction was a bit of a mixed bag. There are/were several items that appeared to be service returns. The WS-100 my friend bought (I picked up) had an RMA number on the side. I suspect several more were like it. So far, however, the 5000 MC is immaculate as-is the VGM-300 monitor that seemed to be paired with it. The 1200 I picked up appears extremely clean. The CM-1, CM2, and VM-5 monitors were also in good shape however I haven't verified their operation yet. They lost the damaged 1200 along with a TRS-80 printer. They will look for those and mail it to me. They said work contractors moved many of the auction items and scattered them about before the pick-up days.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    They said work contractors moved many of the auction items and scattered them about before the pick-up days.
    Ridiculous. Can't wait to see the pictures!!!
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004. Compaq Contura 4/25C.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, C64. Packard Bell Legend 20CD.

Blog Entries

Yesterday, I was cleaning out a desk drawer and found a box for a Radio Shack Scientific calculator. The box and manual are for an EC-4004, but the calculator is the EC-4005. I don't think I've ever used the thing. Probably picked it up at a clearance sale at the local RS store, tossed it into a drawer and forgot about it. Stuck a couple of batteries in it and it powered right up.

I did win both 1200s, however I'm not all that attached to them. I'm mainly curious if either or both have the 400 line 'Graphics Master' CGA card (Tandy 2000 enhanced color CAT #25-3044) that goes with the CM-1 monitor (8 color) or CM-2 monitor (16 color) at 640x400. I'm open to selling either or both minus that card if they have it. I also won the 5000 MC and the rest of the monitors - mainly to get a period correct CM-1 for my 2000, period correct CM-2 for my 1000, and a period correct VGM-300 for my 4K/5Ks.
    Years ago (early-ish 90's), someone gave me a Tandy 3000HD for the cost of shipping. It came with a CM-1 monitor that connected to an ISA video card. The CM-1 display was awful, unfortunately. I ultimately trashed it, though I kinda wish now I'd saved it, considering how rare they are. But...I still have the video card that it connected to...somewhere. I do believe it is an 8-bit card, full length. If memory serves, it is marked as an STB Pro-Res 400 or something like that. Is that what you are looking for?

Awesome that you were able to get the 5000MC, and even more so that it had the mythical reference disk! Thank you for sharing that with the world! I saved a copy of it, and will always be willing to share it! Perhaps some day I'll even acquire a 5000 to use with it...

Thanks,

Wesley

Blog Entries

I just got back into town from 13+ hours there, 2-3 hours sleep in the car, and 13+ hours back...
    Okay, now I'm glad I didn't bid aggressively. Too much work for me.

I am planning on recreating a head to head test featured in Byte magazine in Sept 1988 issue of the Tandy 5000 MC vs the IBM PS/2 70 (386/20) as a YouTube review video.
    You are my hero. Be sure to include a workload that includes some I/O.

I just need an Everex Step now to make the collection complete!
    Good luck finding one that is working -- Everex was well-known for cutting corners, so I'd be shocked if any were still working today.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I am planning on recreating a head to head test featured in Byte magazine in Sept 1988 issue of the Tandy 5000 MC vs the IBM PS/2 70 (386/20) as a YouTube review video.
    You are my hero. Be sure to include a workload that includes some I/O.
    I haven't got to the video yet as I keep performing upgrades to the 5K. I have a retro-brited a 5.25" 1.2M drive, added a NOS SCSI CD-ROM, and a SCSI2SD emulating a disk. I have not been able to get after-market video cards - even IBM ones like 8514/A, XGA, and XGA2 - working properly in the machine. And I have a back-log of things to scan that Louis Ohland graciously sent me (terrific guy!) relating to the machine.

But I did realize this eBay listing which I had been looking at with question marks for sometime now is actually an (apparently) unreleased 33 MHz upgrade board for the 5000 MC. All the pins and holes match based on photos. So after some back and forth negotiation with the seller, I was able to acquire it! I need to do some due diligence before I just slap it in a machine and apply power. But I am hoping it works with my existing planners (which have varying degrees of bodge-wire rework from the factory). I'm fairly sure that if it wasn't the rarest Tandy before, it might be if the upgrade board works.

I'm not sure what I'm bringing to VCF-MW yet. But I have an exhibit planned for Tandy Assembly featuring examples from each of their PC era flag-ship millennium machines: 1000(HX), 2000(HD), 3000(HD), 4000, and 5000 MC called Tandy 12345K.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me