Image Map Image Map

Thread: NOVA / Rolm 1602

Default NOVA / Rolm 1602

Itís been a while but am now at the point that I have my paper tape reader connected and working with the 1602, just to review I have the 1602 up and running with the local control panel and the TT0 communication port working at 9600, 8N1 and have been able to load things like the NOVA debugger from the front panel and run that using the TT0 port without issues. Now have the 1624 card is also controlling the paper tape drive and can do things like enter the basic loader from the front panel and then the absolute loader from paper tape but now I am at the point of where dose that get me? I have a couple paper tape diagnostics but they were for the 1601 and wont load on my 1602 and being that I have not used paper tape before donít see what the absolute loader gets me, what will it do beyond enabling the system to load more complex paper tape?
    I am also needing a paper tape copy of NOVA Basic and will pay any price for a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Qbus View Post
    I am also needing a paper tape copy of NOVA Basic and will pay any price for a copy.
    I'm sure Bruce will be happy to take your money.

Hi QBus;

I just talked to Bruce, and He says that He already gave You a copy of Single User Basic for the NOVA about a half a Years or so ago, Along with some Diagnostics..

So You should have all that You need..

THANK YOU Marty

The problem is that they were sent as attachments and the email server at work will not allow unrecognizable attachments with out going thru and purging them. Tried to get him to resend them and have him modify the extension but somehow never worked out. You can get around most attachment filters just by changing the extension to something like .JPG and most filters will pass that without issues, but .ZIP compressed files always get removed. Or if he has a FTP site I would be able to download from there.
    The next big issue will be attempting to write files into an eight bit format that the loader in Nova can interpret. Unlike simple diagnostics or data files paper tape programming requires protocol and checksums and the like.
    The further I go into the past the more the challenges! The goal is to get the system up and running Basic, something like the one time goal of getting a PDP-11 to do the same. End results was eventually having both a Qbus and Unibus systems with RX, RL and a ton of other stuff and RT-11 becoming a way of life for a couple years. Accomplished building up couple DEC Basic workstations and got to the point of also porting Atari Basic games over to DEC Basic and that was all fun, the new goal is Data General NOVA and getting that up and running. Don’t know what I will do if I get this completed.

Hi QBus;

I will pass the Information / problem on to Bruce..

And I will see what I can do to help, Let me look into and try to find my old Data General files, we did alot of Paper Tape transfers to a PC many years ago.. From a High Speed Paper Tape Reader to a Data General 1200 to a PC..
    I don't know If I kept any of those files, or just passed them on to Bruce..

I have found some files, one is SUBASIC.AB
    Which is Single User Basic,
    If You would send me a Private Message on where to send that file I will send it along to You..

THANK YOU Marty
    Last edited by Marty; July 15th, 2017 at 07:43 PM.