Image Map Image Map

Thread: Toshiba 310CDT Restoration - Unsure what this cryptic POST Pattern means...

Question Toshiba 310CDT Restoration - Unsure what this cryptic POST Pattern means...

Hi all, First post! This is my second laptop restoration, My first was an IBM Thinkpad 380ED and my next will be my NEC PowerMate Portable SX BUT Right now, It's a Toshiba 310 CDT.

The machine was not powering up at all, I've torn it down and cleaned up some corrosion and put it back together. I Now have some form of life - See below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8h...ew?usp=sharing

As soon as it's plugged in, the AC IN Light flashes as shown above - SHORT SHORT SHORT SHORT LONG SHORT SHORT SHORT

The only thing that I think *Might* cause this, I'm using a 19v 4a PSU for the laptop but I know the stock adaptor was 15v 4a. I've never had this issue in the past BUT I've never seen this unit actually working. I'll search for a 15v PSU Just incase it's a safety but Im doubtful.

Apart from a pull apart guide and some sales material, can't find much else about this laptop.

One thing I have done (Unsure if this has anything to do with it) is removed the CMOS battery and the Backup battery (Unsure what this is to be honest) as I plan to order replacements.

Any ideas?

Welcome to these forums.

In the maintenance manuals for some other Toshiba laptops, it is written that a flashing AC IN light indicates abnormal voltage supply (although they write of the light being orange).

If that "19v 4a PSU" is unregulated, then the output voltage could be significantly higher. See [here].

My T2100CS (albeit older) has an amber/orange AC flashing code when the main battery is removed. This doesn't impact it powering it up at all though.

I think they *may* need the CMOS battery and backup battery to be present in order to power up. I recall having to replace my backup battery years ago because of some sort of problem, but I don't know if it was a powering up one.

I would firstly try another PSU first at the correct voltage and if that fails try reinstalling the fresh CMOS and backup batteries when they arrive.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSausage View Post
    ... and the Backup battery (Unsure what this is to be honest)
    From the Satellite Pro 400 maintenance manual:

Toshiba later renamed 'AutoResume' to just 'Resume'.
    From the 430 user manual:

In my 430CDT, I have the Resume mode turned off and have no Resume battery fitted.

Everyone here is on the money, I Was unable to locate a laptop 15v PSU but I 'temporarily' wired up a 15v lab PSU to the rear of the barrel connector and voila, on working laptop.

I have ordered a proper PSU and new RTC & Backup batteries and then she'll be as good as new!

Thanks everyone!

Try using your IBM's power adapter. The stock thinkpad bricks were mostly 16V units. Might be close enough to rule that issue out.
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200 (Non-HD), VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: Inexpensive 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, 486 Desktop, C64.