Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 3174 system (3270 protocol) remote and local controllers for cheap, local pickup

Default IBM 3174 system (3270 protocol) remote and local controllers for cheap, local pickup

I came into a nice lot of mainframe stuff recently, and while it would be fun to keep it around and use a controller or two to hook up the terminal to something modern, it does take up a lot of space so I thought I would give the real enthusiasts a chance.

I'd rather keep the terminal, since I really like using the keyboard and it's nice to have the whole thing but if you want the display half of the terminal, you're welcome to it if you're getting the other stuff. It has pretty heavy screen burn and is missing two of the display feet.

The three available pieces are

IBM 3174-1L local cluster controller. The original early 70's cluster controller. Connects directly to mainframe. Mainframe plugs are intact. They severed the cables to the mainframe instead of disconnecting them. Still has the original 3174 manual in mint shape.
    IBM 3274-41D local and remote cluster controller with internal memory.
    IBM 3174-61R mid-80's more compact cluster expansion controller. Lets you chain an additional 6 terminals to either of the others plus two floppy drives for storage.

I haven't cleaned them up or powered them up yet though everything looks good on the inside. If somebody is serious about picking a piece up, I can clean up the guts and power them up slow with a variac to see if everything fires up right. Asking $10 apiece, but you have to come down to Baton Rouge, Louisiana and get them. Can also take more detailed pictures on request.

Blog Entries

I believe that these all have switched mode PSUs so a variac won't help. Certainly the 61R does.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

That's unfortunate. Kinda all or nothing then. I went ahead and turned on the 61R at least. It warmed up normally, checked the floppy drives and went to standby. They're really pretty immaculate on the inside.

Unfortunately, that's the only 120V piece of equipment. I don't have a 220 extension on hand big enough for the other two.

A couple of things. Can we in any way dissuade you from using the keyboard separate from the 3278? These things (the entire 327 are hard to find especially with the "typewriter" keyboard (all of mine have the data entry keyboards) so carving it up so you can use the keyboard for something else is painful.

I'd be interested in the 3174s (both of them) but only if you'd be willing to have them palletized and shipped as I'm in California. If not I hope that someone else can grab them.

Like I said, I'd rather keep the whole dumb terminal for myself. It would need a little work to be fully back to snuff anyhow. It's just if somebody really needed the display and was picking up everything else, then I could include it.

In other words, everything is negotiable but the keyboard. That stays with me. Though I would prefer if the 3278-2 display did too. Funny thing is it's not even the original keyboard. Maintenance list says that was replaced in 1980. So it's not like a matching parts thing.

I really don't want to deal with shipping. It's just way too much of a hassle for stuff this big unless there's significant money involved. The only reason I'm even asking any cash on this is to keep it above scrap level so I know whoever gets it wants it for what it is. If somebody showed up to pick things up with out of state tags, I'd know that for sure and let them have it free. I just want to make sure they go to a good home. Though I know it will likely be a bit of a drive for anyone who does decide they want them, so I'm more than happy to take any pictures or open things up to make sure the trip is worth their while.

BTW, if you get an ethernet card for either of the 3174s (it's the same for both) you can hook up the 3278 and use that to communicate with various systems as it will do telnet or telnet3270 protocol. That's how I use mine so that I can either use my various CUT terminals to communicate with either my IBM mainframe or to a PC (or Raspberry PI) running Hercules (mainframe emulator).

I will mention that configuring the 3174s (assuming that you have the microcode diskettes...you can't use them without them but they're not hard to find...media is a bit more problematic since they're 2.4MB 5-1/4" diskettes) is not for the faint of heart. There are literally 100's of configuration questions that must all be answered and there is not enough information in the microcode setup to "wing it". You have to use the various worksheets and then use them to answer the configuration questions. Having gone through this (several times and failing on a number of them) it can be frustrating especially since the error codes need to be looked up and then interpreted as to what the error actually means. :-/

The point that I'm making is that without one of the 3174 (or 3274) control units, the terminal isn't particularly useful because all of the "smarts" are in the control unit and the terminal only has the coax connection to the control unit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggs View Post
    The point that I'm making is that without one of the 3174 (or 3274) control units, the terminal isn't particularly useful because all of the "smarts" are in the control unit and the terminal only has the coax connection to the control unit.
    i.e. its a very dump terminal. They might have a printer port on the back but it won't work without a 3174 or mainframe with a builtin 3174..
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals