Thread: Tandy 1000-WS

Lol, clearly I missed that bit!
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Synth: Roland MT-32

Today's update:

Installed 128K in the four sockets. System now boots with 256K.

Some thoughts about the floppy disk not working with the Exabyte controller. The Exabyte controller only has a FDC chip on it. The Tandy motherboard normally had a FDSL (Floppy Disk Support Logic) chip as well as the DSDD floppy chip (and both are missing). I'm starting to wonder if the reason why the Exabyte isn't working is because the logic is missing; and I likely need a FDC that some support option ROM onboard to actually make the system boot from floppy.

Any suggestions for an 8 bit floppy controller with an option rom to try out that theory?

Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    Today's update:

Installed 128K in the four sockets. System now boots with 256K.

Some thoughts about the floppy disk not working with the Exabyte controller. The Exabyte controller only has a FDC chip on it. The Tandy motherboard normally had a FDSL (Floppy Disk Support Logic) chip as well as the DSDD floppy chip (and both are missing). I'm starting to wonder if the reason why the Exabyte isn't working is because the logic is missing; and I likely need a FDC that some support option ROM onboard to actually make the system boot from floppy.

Any suggestions for an 8 bit floppy controller with an option rom to try out that theory?
    You can find them on ebay occasionally, or build one of Sergey's.

Sergey's floppy bios may actually work as a generic ROM for your existing floppy controller, if you track down a standalone ROM card.

Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    very cool machine, what are the chances that this was a cost reduced machine designed for POS or Industrial Control type applications?
    The WS-1000 was made by Tandy to be used in Radio Shack stores as the POS cash register. It was connected to a Tandy 3000 running Xenix in the back office. The stores did inventory, credit card transactions, stock ordering, etc. with this setup.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hornbetw View Post
    The WS-1000 was made by Tandy to be used in Radio Shack stores as the POS cash register. It was connected to a Tandy 3000 running Xenix in the back office. The stores did inventory, credit card transactions, stock ordering, etc. with this setup.

Tom
    Nice. makes a lot of sense for Tandy/Radio Shack to use their own gear like this.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Synth: Roland MT-32

Quote Originally Posted by hornbetw View Post

Tom
    Yep. I have a thread in over at an assembler forum to try and extract the program from the ROM; the Tandy terminal emulator. I want to play around with it and determine what it was. Obviously, it has methods for triggering a printer, etc, too.

Did you ever get anywhere with running the terminal program?

Tom