Image Map Image Map

Thread: XENIX 3.2.0 for MC68000 6MHz CPU Boards

Default XENIX 3.2.0 for MC68000 6MHz CPU Boards

I've released the patched XENIX 3.2.0 installation boot disk that allows the non-PAL upgraded 6MHz MC68000 CPU boards to run XENIX 3.2.0. This will allow XENIX 3.2.0 to run on any TRS-80 Model 16, 16B or upgraded Model II. I have only tested this on a few systems, so any additional testing input would be welcome.

The patches disable the checks for the upgraded PAL chips that were introduced in the Tandy 6000 8Mhz CPU boards and were also made available as an upgrade for the earlier 6MHz boards in the Model 16 and 16B. The patches also disable "burst mode" which was an optimization introduced in XENIX 3 that requires the upgraded PAL chips.

For a comprehensive discussion about the PAL upgrade and "burst mode", see this discussion.

For details on how this patch was created, see this thread.

Great work!

Great news. Should I plan on putting an 8mhz board in a model II anyway or did you do this because mod II's have to use the 6mhz boards?

Quote Originally Posted by memphis View Post
    Great news. Should I plan on putting an 8mhz board in a model II anyway or did you do this because mod II's have to use the 6mhz boards?
    You can run the 8 MHz board in the Model II, but as Dell Griffith would say, you'd have better luck playing pickup sticks with your butt cheeks compared to finding an 8 MHz board these days.

Ah i see. I just read your finders guide all the way at the end of the forum... so now I undertand. So you have really unlocked all the 6mhz users from proceedING to the v3 xenix. Nice. Maybe I saw an 8mhz on ebay last year and didn't realize how rare they were.