Image Map Image Map

Thread: 160K CPM images

Default 160K CPM images

OK! I got several .IMG and IMD files off WinWorld CPM86_10.IMG CPM11D1.IMG & IMD ETC. I've tried WinImage old & latest versions, imgdsk.exe and COPYCQ all report bad images. What am I doing wrong. Image is located on the A: drive a 1.44 floppy and I'm imaging to the B: drive, a 360K 5.25 drive. Disk has been formatted to 160K in the PC with SS'd drives. I've also tried formatting the drive to 360K in the tweener.

All come back and say image bad. WinImage won't even open the image.

Is their a special imager for 160K images?

framer

This would be better discussed over at the Winworld forum. But, exactly which downloads are you having issues with?

The best tool for the job is usually ImageDisk. That is what the .IMD files are for. However a problem you may have have run in to is that Imagedisk may not run properly FROM a floppy disk. A workaround if you don't have a FAT/FAT32 hard drive is to load a ram disk on your boot disk, and copy imagedisk and the images in to the ramdisk.

There is a guide to converting standard IMG files to Imagedisk format here: https://winworldpc.com/winboards/viewtopic.php?t=6931

Winimage only knows about MS-DOS FAT file systems. It knows nothing about CP/M file systems. It also knows nothing about the early MS-DOS 1.x FAT file systems, and it will refuse to write disk images that it can not open.

There are many other tools that can write raw "IMG" 160k/180k/320k disk images, but support can be hit-and-miss as many tools know nothing about formats earlier than 360k.

There is more detail about different archivers on the library information page: https://winworldpc.com/library/archive-information
    Last edited by SomeGuy; July 17th, 2017 at 10:07 AM.

Blog Entries

There are .IMD files packaged in the Winworld CP/M releases. Use those with IMD.COM (Dave Dunfield's ImageDisk) under MS-DOS (none of this Windows garbage). Put your system and the image on a hard disk (or similar), not a floppy. If you don't have a hard disk on the PC, use a RAMDisk to hold the image.

They'll work just fine.

Thanks for the hints. I will find the imd.com imagedisk and try again.

Blog Entries

Thanks Someguy & Chuck(g), for getting me on the right path. IMD worked perfect. Embarrassed to admit it but when I went to copy the IMD program to my 386tweener machine I found it already there from 2008. I was doing a ton of imaging 10 years ago. Once I found it, it quickly came back to me.

I have an early IBM 5150 machine with the original SSDD drives. It was so cool to boot it to CPM 1.0. I've been only thinking about doing that for the last 5-6 years. Maybe the wife has hope that I'll redo the bathroom in another 5-6 years...

Thanks again,
    framer