Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Libretto 70CT - My new retro gaming machine

Cool Toshiba Libretto 70CT - My new retro gaming machine

Finally found myself a Toshiba Libretto. It's even the model I was looking for: 70CT, with P120MMX with 32MB RAM.
    It's funny that they secretively put in a 2.1GB HDD. They did not have enough 1.6GB drives, so they have put in a 2.1GB drive in some libretto's and partitioned them as 1.6GB drives. With later firmware you could'nt even access the extra space on the drive, sneaky sneaky
    It's a great mini laptop for playing some old games because of its 640x480 resolution and Soundblaster Pro compatible sound chip.
    Pretty hard to type on, even with my smaller hands, but no problem for gaming.
    I did get some goodies with it (2x docking station + wifi card + ethernet card + Floppy drive + CD drive)
    Still need to find/created some plastic covers to hide the screws next to the screen.

Quickly did some fotoshoot, will post more photo's later.
    Foto 15-07-17 20 39 43.jpg

2. Default

Great picture, that looks awesome! =D

IIRC it was marketed as being the same size as a video tape (VHS)?

You may have an upgraded drive from the end user, the one I had in college came with something much later than originally shipped with it (110CT with like an 8 GB drive). Interesting choice for a gaming machine, but they are very cool little subnotebooks! I've got a 110CT I need to finish fixing up. Still a very usable little machine with something like console-only Linux or *BSD.

Quote Originally Posted by pearce_jj View Post
    IIRC it was marketed as being the same size as a video tape (VHS)?
    About the same size, yeah.

5. Default

Would like to note how crisp that display looks. Maybe just some photography trickery but that looks rich! Feel free to make a video of you playing Bubble Bobble on it sometime. As in... would be cool to see!

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    You may have an upgraded drive from the end user, the one I had in college came with something much later than originally shipped with it (110CT with like an 8 GB drive).
    It stil had the original 1.6GB partition, with the rest of the space unpartitioned and it's a Toshiba drive, so I think it's the original HDD. There are also other reports about this 1.6GB vs 2.1GB thing on the internet (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...M/QHh1MLdsQ60J).

Quote Originally Posted by MindThreat View Post
    Would like to note how crisp that display looks. Maybe just some photography trickery but that looks rich! Feel free to make a video of you playing Bubble Bobble on it sometime. As in... would be cool to see!
    It looks just as crips as on my unchanged pictures. I attached one picture taken with my phone with a cola can as size reference and the "out of camera" picture from first post, made with a mirrorless camera.
    I really like the colors on the screen, it's a nice TFT screen for a 20 year old laptop. The first game I started was Wolfenstein 3D and I was amazed by the vibrance of the colors.
    I'll try to make a video some time.

Foto 15-07-17 20 39 43 (1).jpg

Foto 15-07-17 20 09 13.jpg

Some minor negatives about this laptop:
    - No keys or slider setting to change screen brightness (it only changes a little by selecting some power saving functions). Default brightness is good, so not really a problem.
    - No way to change DOS volume with keys or volume wheel. Soundblaster sound is pretty loud with default volume. Some DOS games have no options to change volume in game, so that's a little annoying. As a workaround, I use bccvol.exe to set a lower master volume at startup within autoexec.bat. If needed I can set a higher volume with bccvol.exe.
    - Headphone jack is 2.5mm instead of 3.5mm.

I have always wanted to get one of these, but never found the right deal at the right time. I am so jealous, but very happy for you. Nice find, especially with all the extras!

Hi XDUR,

Yeah, they are "great" little machines.

I own a couple of them:
    Toshiba Libretto 30CTK ( Win98 )
    Toshiba Libretto 50CT ( Win98 )
    Toshiba Libretto 70CT ( Win95 )
    Toshiba Libretto 70CT ( Win2000 )
    Toshiba Libretto 100CT ( Win98 )
    Toshiba Libretto 110CT ( Win98 )

The only downside of the Libretto is, that it is not really fit for some serious typing...

Those always looked so cool and that's a nice one for sure! How are you liking using that mouse? Is it annoying to have to hold the screen like that at all? I hope to find one someday!