Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soyo 5TA2 Socket 7 motherboard advice

I finally had some time to test it, had to finish recapping my Amiga 1200 first and since I finished that yesterday i decided to try to hook this motherboard to power and see if it would POST.

I plugged in (2) 32MB EDO 72-Pin SIMMs, a Cirrus Logic PCI SVGA card, IBM PS2 keyboard with AT adapter and a New Star Tech AT power supply that I bought a little bit back. Powered right up and seems to be ok. I haven't attached drives yet but so far it seems to work. Of course it has a CMOS battery dead error message in post.

I next need to find a replacement for the RTC chip/battery combo. It doesn't look like there are any pin headers for an external battery so I will have to purchase one on Digi-Key, I assume. I think I recall they still sell new stock of these. This one is an ODIN OEC12C887A which I believe would be the same as a Dallas 12C887. I forget what the C signifies. Something to do with the calendar or date? Anyone else have any known good sources for these?

I have a new Heatsink/fan combo for the P1-90 because it gets hot without any heatsink. Funny the instructions don't even mention using thermal compound on the CPU/heatsink. I'll use some.

After that I will need an AT compatible case. I have to check my cases I don't know if I have one that will work besides my P3-800 tower.

All in all not bad for $3 thrift store purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
    I have a new Heatsink/fan combo for the P1-90 because it gets hot without any heatsink. Funny the instructions don't even mention using thermal compound on the CPU/heatsink. I'll use some.
    Lol, the last CPUs on x86 you could run bare was the early 486 chips under 40 MHz. Pentiums require a heatsink and fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Lol, the last CPUs on x86 you could run bare was the early 486 chips under 40 MHz. Pentiums require a heatsink and fan.
    Yep. It probably had a heatsink when it was being used. But i had it on for about 2 minutes just to test. It was warm but not so hot I couldn't touch it.

Hebron, Boone Township, Porter County, Indiana, USA

Pentiums require a headsink, but not a fan. Some chips had a fan but not all. My gateway P5-120 just put a giant blue heatsink over a 120 mhz chip and the only fan was the system fan. I built a Pentium 233 for my grandmother a long time ago and all that got was a heatsink as well. I even have a Slot 1 P3 that just has a giant heatsink on it and no fan and it works just fine. I have even seen some cheapskate system manufacturers use the system fan to duct air over the heatsink of the cpu, sort of killing two birds with one stone. Dell and HP were known for this, and I think its a major cheap skate corner cutting design.