Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soyo 5TA2 Socket 7 motherboard advice

Default Soyo 5TA2 Socket 7 motherboard advice

Hi,

I found this motherboard at a local thrift store for $3. I have no idea if it works yet because I haven't had a chance to throw some RAM in it and a video card and hook it up. It seems to have a Pentium 90 CPU installed with no heatsink which makes me a little leery about heat. I have a cooler with sink and fan I can put on it. I also have an AT Power supply to test it with and a ISA VGA card. I don't think I have any PCI VGA cards.

It seems to be a model 5TA2 and I found this link that seems to match:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherbo...2-SY-5TA5.html

My questions boil dow tow:

1. Compatible RAM
    2. Cache RAM and Sockets
    3. VRM Socket
    3. Available PDF of the manual

1. I wanted to make sure I had the correct SIMMs before I installed them. I have 32MB 8x32 EDO which should work but the specs on the link above show 8x36 which I am pretty sure is parity. I would be surprised if this was required.

2. Cache appears to be 256k. They don't use all the pins in the socket and I seem to recall this was ok because other Cache SRAMs were probably compatible that had more pins.

3. What is the VRM socket used for? I don't recall seeing this on the other 286 - 486 systems I built.

4. Does anyone have any available PDF or manual scans of this model?

Any insights or help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought Pentium 90s were Socket 5 not 7?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TravisHuckins View Post
    They are but any Socket 5 chip should work in Socket 7. Except for a few motherboards that didn't get the voltages right.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisHuckins View Post
    Yeah, what he said above.

Socket 7 superseded Socket 5 and was designed to support P5 and many other brands of compatibles. Socket 7 is backwards compatible.

Post Updated. Sorry it was late and my eyes were not focusing well, this is the same thing but a little more printable.

http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/S-T/34888.htm
    Last edited by Syclops; July 27th, 2017 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks but I already posted that link in the original post. Manual would be great but seeing how they went out of business a while back it might not be likely. I never owned any Soyo and IIRC they were somewhat on the low end.

One other thing pops up to: the RTC. I don't see a place to plug in an external battery so that will have to get replaced.

Could this be the manual?
    (I tried to attach it to the thread but, unless I'm missing something, the attachment size limitation is way smaller than it. I uploaded to my google drive instead, please notify me when you check it so I can remove it)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...DNIbnJBZnJkdGc

That sure seems right. Thanks for posting it I will compare it to the board when I get home today. Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
    1. I wanted to make sure I had the correct SIMMs before I installed them. I have 32MB 8x32 EDO which should work but the specs on the link above show 8x36 which I am pretty sure is parity. I would be surprised if this was required.
    By the time of the Socket 5, most boards accepted either FPM or EDO memory types. As for parity, it depends on chipset support. Some boards that didn't support parity could use parity modules and some couldn't.

2. Cache appears to be 256k. They don't use all the pins in the socket and I seem to recall this was ok because other Cache SRAMs were probably compatible that had more pins.
    There are two types of SRAMs supported in those sockets, the DIP-28 style 32kx8 chips (for 256kbyte of cache, which you have) and the DIP-32 64kx8 chips for 512k of cache. Here's a listing for some, but they're pretty expensive:

www.ebay.com/itm/401214130586

3. What is the VRM socket used for? I don't recall seeing this on the other 286 - 486 systems I built.
    The manual specifies jumper settings for the VRM socket, but I suspect there was a proprietary module available for it. Some Socket 5 boards needed a beefier VRM for the later P5 Pentium chips, or the more power hungry 3rd party chips like from Cyrix.

Cool. Thanks for the info, it helps a lot.

I have dug out all the needed stuff from my parts bins so hopefully this weekend I can see if the thing even works. Probably have to replace that clock chip/battery through. Looks like the equivalent is a 12c887