Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting old Mac software from the interenet without a modern Mac

I use a modern MacBook Pro and burn files downloaded to CDs. (USB Burner) All PowerMacs have a CD drive. For the ones that don't I have a SCSI external drive a SCSI ZIP drive and a few SyQuest Drives that can be used as go betweens. If they are disk images it is fairly easy to write them using one of the PowerMacs. In some cases for the more modern Macs (G3/G4) I have shares setup on newer Macs with a lot of storage. But mostly it is easiest to use CDs for me.

Hebron, Boone Township, Porter County, Indiana, USA

The major problem is dealing with large ISOs for G3 and G4 Games or other software. It takes FOREVER to unstuff them, even on a dual 1.42 under OS 9. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my q6600 with an SSD, but I do my downloading in the evening, then queue up SIT files to unstuff overnight, then it shut down.

Yeah large .sit files for ISOs can be a pain. I have stuffit on my MacBook Pro so for large ISOs I unstuff it there and burn it with Toast. But for sit files and large updates that is all part of the experience. heh.

If your older Mac has Ethernet then AppleShare becomes a possibility. I use a titanium PowerBook G4 running OS 9.2.2 to get games onto my Color Classic. You could go direct to the net instead but as bad as it is, Classilla is much better on the modern web than any browser that runs on a 68k Mac.

If your old machine doesn't have Ethernet you could still do LocalTalk if your inbetweener machine has serial ports.

After getting a working OS 8.1 running and then a 9.2.2 via CD images, I now download directly to the vintage Macs. Why bother going through a modern system at that point?

I use ethernet and good ol' FTP.

Blog Entries

Ethernet is the easiest once set up (either using FTP or just file sharing with a server), but for small files a CDROM drive or removable media works well enough.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I'm a big fan of Megneto Optical drives. I have a couple Fujitsu 2.3GB drives.

I use Iomega Jaz disks myself