Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP 2649 B/C Terminals

Blog Entries

Default HP 2649 B/C Terminals

These are terminals that I purchased from a fellow user and collected in person during my Idaho road trip.
    There were two units. The first one is a 2649B which when opened is fully populated and fitted with an HP-IB option.
    The other is a 2649C which states it was specifically a graphics terminal. Unfortunately it had all its boards pulled and the safety glass took a good hit and broke plus the case plastics are trashed but it still has a good power supply, analog board, CRT and two salvageable tape drives. The only reason I grabbed it as well is in the hopes that I can trade it for a keyboard for the 2649B as neither came with a keyboard.
    In fact I cannot find any documentation or mention directly of the B/C models. I can find the A and D models only. Also holy crap there are a ton of models of this terminal that look identical.

Anyone here ever heard of them specifically and moreso, is anyone willing part or all of the 2649C carcass for a keyboard?
    = Excellent space heater

If I counted correctly the last time I look a year or so ago, I currently have the following:
    (2x) 2640B
    (4x) 2645A
    (6x) 2645A with dual CTU
    (1x) 2647F with dual floppy (most interesting one, it runs BASIC locally)
    13 terminals total and only 7 keyboards.

So I wouldn't need any more carcasses myself as I already have more terminals than keyboards.

Looks like the main differences between any of the models of this terminal family is whether or not they have the built-in tape drives, and the particular set of CPU, video, memory, and I/O boards, and firmware that are installed. As you say there were a large number of permutations sold as different models.

There is a large set of 264x terminal manuals here. I haven't looked through them to see if there is any information specific to the 2649 B/C models.
    http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?hwdoc=240

Blog Entries

It would of been great if that page had listed boards by their HP part numbers. You gotta open the PDF and hope the correct part number applies.

Anyways, photos.
    CGS_7668.jpgCGS_7667.jpg

Boards from left to right:

Code:
    02640-60246 - Keyboard I/F
    GP ASYNC -  Data Comm
    **-60171 - Universal Memory PCA
    **-60088 - Display TMG
    **-60024 - Dsply Enh
    **-60124 - DMA
    **-60112 - Dsply Cntl
    **-60126 - Graphics Display PCA
    **-60125 - Graphics M-Controller
    **-60128 - HP-IB Interface
    **-60192 - Control Memory
    **-60209 - Processor
    **-60192 - Control Memory
    **-60137 - CTU I/F
    **-60032 - Read/Write
    It looks to be a complete computer in here. I am however heeding the warning for the similar model units and have not yet powered it in, though that still won't do much without a keyboard.

Speaking of which, in order to get the other terminal home I had to dismantle it. The case was really beat up from someone trying to figure out how to pry it open before realizing there's a catch on either side. The machine broke down into two small bundles, the deflection yoke and the CRT which I packed in a custom carton. It's all still available if someone wants to trade.

CGS_7669.jpg
    = Excellent space heater

I do have an extra 264x keyboard. I just need to check so I can get my 2640 and 2645 together. It will take a while. In case you can wait for me to get all together and test them. That little lid over the baud rate switch is of course missing though...

Blog Entries

Eh, I'm not going to be picky. I can wait a while on this project.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Eh, I'm not going to be picky. I can wait a while on this project.
    It is a 2648 keyboard. Delete line key is missing. Not just the keytop. Actually I have a keytop spare. But not the keyswitch.

Blog Entries

Yeah, that looks like that will do it. I ain't picky about the key as I can 3d Print a new one.

I have sent you a PM so we can figure logistics out. Sweden ain't down the road.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

These bring back memories. Our Honeywell L66/60 had modification's to the Time Sharing system to allow the "F" keys to be used to download files or parts of diles into the terminal for editing, and to upload the edited files back into the system. The code caused the system to crash fairly often. After a trip to Amsterdam for an internals course, and a single line change we reduced the crash frequency considerable...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Yeah, that looks like that will do it. I ain't picky about the key as I can 3d Print a new one.

I have sent you a PM so we can figure logistics out. Sweden ain't down the road.
    It might be easier to resin cast one. Smoother finish...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

With a big THANK YOU to MattisLind we indeed do now have a keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind View Post
    Delete line key is missing. Not just the keytop. Actually I have a keytop spare. But not the keyswitch.
    I totally misread this and was a little baffled when I unpacked and started cleaning it. I was bewildered and amused.

The terminal was stripped down and cleaned. I switched bezels because in places the paint was starting to flake off and the other had an engraved blue plate marked PDAS, which happens to be identical to to my HP 7925, so I'm betting money that parted out terminal and that disk drive were attached the the same computer at one point.
    Anyways everything was cleaned and the power supply quickly inspected and then it was thrown back together while the keyboard was also stripped down, cleaned and reassembled, then I plugged it in and did a smoke test. At first I had garbage on the screen but pressing RESET get me a nice TERMINAL READY. Graphing modes seem to work however something about the keyboard is not right. Some keys work while others do not and the status LED's will randomly flicker on and off depending on the baud rate switch but do not respond to their associated buttons. I did find some moisture damage while I was in the keyboard but it seemed pretty minor. There is however no keying on the connector that plugs into the terminal, contrary to what the manual says there should be, so it might be remotely possible I have the thing plugged in the wrong way?

CGS_7696.jpgCGS_7701.jpgCGS_7697.jpgCGS_7698.jpgCGS_7699.jpgCGS_7700.jpg
    = Excellent space heater