Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Model 4P

Default Missing Model 4P

I bought a FreHD off eBay to use with my Model I, 4, and 4P. While I'm waiting I thought I'd dig out my 4P. I can't find it anywhere. I know I would not have thrown it out so this is puzzling.

I had modified it with two 3.5" drives and a BIOS that bypassed the sector size check so it didn't want to load the Model III ROM image on boot with my custom CP/M 2.2 and Plus. It also had the RS Hi-Res board.

I am not happy about this.

Time to hit eBay. I can't have a 4P-sized hole in my collection.

Ask your wife when she threw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Ask your wife when she threw it away.
    Ha! When I mentioned to her I couldn't find it she said, "I didn't throw it away!"

She then said that I should check eBay to see if I could find one for sale.

Have you had a look at the Sewing Machine maybe thats it ? :: }}

Ray
    If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.
    Procrastinators Unite.
    I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.

If you go on ebay you know that, the second you pay for one, you'll turn your head and immediately spot the "missing" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Audronic View Post
    Have you had a look at the Sewing Machine maybe thats it ? :: }}

Ray
    She's got three sewing machines (two of which are programmable). One of them is set up but I did check the other two cases just in case it got mixed up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    If you go on ebay you know that, the second you pay for one, you'll turn your head and immediately spot the "missing" one.
    I'm actually okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I'm actually okay with that.
    I just bought one so I guess I'll probably trip over the old one in the next day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I just bought one so I guess I'll probably trip over the old one in the next day or two.
    It has arrived!

The good news is I apparently moved the Hi-Res adapter to one of my Model 4 systems at one point. I pulled the Model 4 out to clean it up and found it inside. I also found a spare 4P GA motherboard I forgot I had.

The bad news is a large number of my old floppies seem to be missing. Some of it I can get from other places (too bad Ira's site doesn't have everything freely downloadable now). Some of it isn't any big loss (papers from college).

The source code for my CP/M 2.2 and CP/M Plus BIOS I had saved elsewhere, but the source code for the support utilities is probably lost. Once I go through the BIOS source code I'm sure I can rewrite the support utilities. It will just take time.

Two other items that immediately come to mind that I can't find:
    Patched Infocom interpreter to run the Model III version in Model 4 mode under TRSDOS 6
    A port of TurboDOS for the Model 4 I was working on (modified from my CP/M BIOS and never fully working)

Speaking of cleaning up, I bought some denatured alcohol to clean the floppy drive heads in the Model 4s and Model 16. It's been years and the only local place I found that had it was Home Depot. I remember I used to get it at a pharmacy, but CVS and Walgreens didn't carry it (nor did Lowe's). I also couldn't find any moly grease locally for the drive rails. Has anyone tried lithium grease?