Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tek 4051 startup sequence

Blog Entries

Default Tek 4051 startup sequence

I was wondering if anyone had or was aware of a video existing showing a 4051 being powered up. My repair guy in the city has fixed whatever was causing my 4051 to deny power to the mainboard. We have a bit of a language barrier but essentially he said we are getting the screen lighting up now and correct voltages to motherboard but that's it. He was hoping I might have something to show him what should be happening. Anyway, if anyone knows of such a thing I'd really appreciate it.

I have seen some Youtube videos - but it will take me a short while to get a link for you (I am just on my way home from work at the moment and we can't bring up Youtube videos from work).

I will have a look when I get home for you.

From what I remember - you get a blank screen with a flashing block as a cursor in the upper left-hand corner of the screen (no pretty sign-on screen announcing the wonders of purchasing Tektronix products or anything like that...)

If you press the 'clear screen' button (can't remember what it is actually called at the moment) you should see a brief 'flash' on the screen.

Again, this is all from my memory of using a 4051 back in the late 70's early 80's that I used at university.

Dave

Not quite what you wanted (it is a 4052 not a 4051) but I think the same thing applies.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXNXIRzI0xw

You can see just after the program listing that the screen is cleared and a small flashing cursor block appears in the upper left-hand corner of the screen before the program is RUN.

If you also look at http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stut...oper_Mar80.pdf on page 6-9 (PDF page 249) it defines the start-up position. It states to press the [HOME/PAGE] key and the screen will be blanked apart from the blinking rectangle cursor in the upper left-hand corner of the screen (perhaps my memory isn't that bad after all)...

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; August 9th, 2017 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had or was aware of a video existing showing a 4051 being powered up. My repair guy in the city has fixed whatever was causing my 4051 to deny power to the mainboard. We have a bit of a language barrier but essentially he said we are getting the screen lighting up now and correct voltages to motherboard but that's it. He was hoping I might have something to show him what should be happening. Anyway, if anyone knows of such a thing I'd really appreciate it.
    If you need I can provide such a video. Just let me know...

Blog Entries

That would be awesome.

I was wrong in my earlier message.. when I got down there to see it the 4051 was doing exactly what it was doing before, although he says he did fix up the video board.

I showed him how powering on with the display cable denied power to the motherboard, and then powered up with that disconnected and ran a 10 goto 10 program and demonstrated how that lit up the BUSY light.

We did some digging around and realized that many of the wires that appear to run to the video board don't.. they appear to go back into the machine.. possibly into power supply. Armed with that info he is now tracing back there. I suspect if the video board is good he will find a bad voltage regulator or some such back there and hopefully that will get us lit up. He is convinced the display board and actual display tube are good.

That would be awesome.

I was wrong in my earlier message.. when I got down there to see it the 4051 was doing exactly what it was doing before, although he says he did fix up the video board.

I showed him how powering on with the display cable denied power to the motherboard, and then powered up with that disconnected and ran a 10 goto 10 program and demonstrated how that lit up the BUSY light.

We did some digging around and realized that many of the wires that appear to run to the video board don't.. they appear to go back into the machine.. possibly into power supply. Armed with that info he is now tracing back there. I suspect if the video board is good he will find a bad voltage regulator or some such back there and hopefully that will get us lit up. He is convinced the display board and actual display tube are good.
    Hi, again. I finally posted a video with the startup and shutdown sequence. Watch it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Vriat9IxA

Hope your system is working!

Blog Entries

Thanks muchly for this!!

Yeah mine will only do the 'green flood' if the last connector to the motherboard on the left (black) is removed. If connected, the motherboard is denied power. The tech is still trying to trace the circuit and figure out what exactly is cutting it off. I'm hopeful he will find it, and that once he does, I'll be able to get a prompt up.

Thanks muchly for this!!

Yeah mine will only do the 'green flood' if the last connector to the motherboard on the left (black) is removed. If connected, the motherboard is denied power. The tech is still trying to trace the circuit and figure out what exactly is cutting it off. I'm hopeful he will find it, and that once he does, I'll be able to get a prompt up.
    Wish I knew how to help. I assume you have all the service manuals that are online as PDF scans.