Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model 4 128K badges.

Default Model 4 128K badges.

Does anyone know of anyone that ever had these things made up?

I'm going to need a few and I don't want to re-invent the wheel if there are some already out there.

Thanks
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Yeah, I could use 3 of them...

I would love one and a 48K one. My Model III was a 16k that needed lots of TLC and I fully converted and upgraded.

If anyone knows where to make one, and it requires a minimum run to get them, I'd love to go in with you and get a few. Heck I'd be willing to buy a run of them and just sell them for just cost, or split it for a few extras just in case I need one down the road.

Couldn't be more than $1-2 a piece. I'd pay more than that just because it really bugs me when I see the 16k and 64k while retroing around the playpen.

I need about 20, to start, so, I'd be in.

I'm going to be parting out some Model IV "cans" (the shields, main board (one 128K and, at least, 1 64K) FDC and RS232) drive stack, power supplies, etc, etc. I have a good model III (except for the case top being cracked almost in half, but the CRT survived) but, I'm using that right now to test the Model 4 stuff.

I don't know how I'm going to part it out though. Maybe as a Model III to Model IV upgrade with the mainboard and keyboard, maybe the drive stack, drives and FDC (and spare 30W power supply, if needed) for a diskless Model IV, maybe the same drive stack and controller arrangement for a diskless Model III. Perhaps everything a la acarte and people can buy what they need to do what they want.

I'll have to work on it.

BTW, does anyone have any dead Model IV keyboards?

I need to buy some keycaps, some of the ones on the two working keyboards I have are missing most of the letter on them.

Thanks.

Which key caps do you need and for which keyboard ? Maxi-switch, ALPS or membrane?
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by TRS-Ian View Post
    Which key caps do you need and for which keyboard ? Maxi-switch, ALPS or membrane?
    I'm guessing it's the membrane one. Looks like a cheap Model M with the plastic "rivets" through the silver backing and fatter springs?

I supposed I've never run across them because they weren't ever in any of the Model IVs that I had worked on. Why would someone build something like that (the same thing I said to myself when I opened up the first "riveted" Lenovo keyboard I worked on)? Speaking of Lenovo, I have a 1391401 Model M I should put on my site, now that it's working.

To answer your other question, I need 2 each of the E, S, D & C keycaps and 1 each of the R, N, A, F, T, I, J and L keycaps. There must be a hell of a lot of dead Model IV membrane keyboards laying around.

Speaking of Model IVs, I've started putting some stuff up on my site in the Computer Hardware/Tandy section. Most of it shows up on the Home Page as well.

Thanks for any assist you can give me, Ian.

Are 128K upgrade kits still available anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard1969 View Post
    Are 128K upgrade kits still available anywhere?
    Well, I have the GALs to make up chip U72 for the NGA type Model IV computer (which is why I wanted to know if there were any 128K badges made up) coming. The chips should be here this Friday and I'll burn a couple and test them for 48 hours, using the 1985 version of Tandy diagnostics, in a 128K M4 to make sure they work right.

If they pass the tests, I'll start selling the GALs and a set of 8 x 64K x 1 chips as a kit.

I need three badges if anyone makes any.