Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HxC floppy emulator

Default HxC floppy emulator

I think it might be a good idea to get one of these. I've seen that the Rev. C from Lotharek works okay, but I like the idea of the Rev. F with the display and controls on the front.

Has anyone tried the Rev. F with a Model I, 4, or 4P? If so did you have any issues?

Blog Entries

Isn't a Gotek emulator using the HxC firmware far cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Isn't a Gotek emulator using the HxC firmware far cheaper?
    I saw those but didn't know how they compared. If they work instead that would be okay but I can only find those with USB and not SD card which I prefer. For the price difference I can live with it.

@Alphasite

You have to pay 10.-- euro Ex VAT for the Gotek software license.

With the HxC USB version you can only read files.
    With the HxC SD version you can read and write files.
    With the Gotek USB you can read and write files. With only a few restrictions.
    The Gotek version only can emulate one floppy drive. The HxC can emulate two floppy drives.
    According to a posting of Jeff, the problems with the Gotek Harddisk emulation seems to be solved.

I use the HxC SD version and the Gotek USB version, both with positive results.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans01 View Post
    @Alphasite

You have to pay 10.-- euro Ex VAT for the Gotek software license.

With the HxC USB version you can only read files.
    With the HxC SD version you can read and write files.
    With the Gotek USB you can read and write files. With only a few restrictions.
    The Gotek version only can emulate one floppy drive. The HxC can emulate two floppy drives.
    According to a posting of Jeff, the problems with the Gotek Harddisk emulation seems to be solved.

I use the HxC SD version and the Gotek USB version, both with positive results.
    I think I'll go with the HXC SD since it can emulate two drives. That might come in handy.

I have the F in my Model 4, ran a cable down the back of the GA motherboard and plugged it into the external drive bay, and its drive 2/3. I have a 3.5 as Drive 1 below it.

Works really nice, BUT it cannot write single density, can read. At least mine can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I have the F in my Model 4, ran a cable down the back of the GA motherboard and plugged it into the external drive bay, and its drive 2/3. I have a 3.5 as Drive 1 below it.

Works really nice, BUT it cannot write single density, can read. At least mine can't.
    Not being able to write single density shouldn't be a problem for me.

I have an HxC SD that I use with a model 1 and it works great. Just be sure to source the correct cable. I have not tried it with my model 4P but I expect it would work just as well. Very handy gadget to have around. I have used it with my Amigas and other machines as a very flexible floppy drive for getting software on a machine in a pinch.

Win

I didn't think I would need it ever, but when I had a pile of Model I disks show up, I was disappointed I couldn't archive them.

I've got a MIRE now, so problem solved (well, if I ever have that happen again)

I haven't tried it with a 4 line cable, but they did move DS3 to pin 6 I think from 32, and left 32 for side select on the 4P four drive modification. I doesnt do that, either you get Side or drive 3, not both.