Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: pdp-8/e and RX01 restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
    This is what I do. If you have two people, the second person can keep the needle-nose pliers ready, and when the solder is melted, grab the pin and pull it out of the PCB. It takes a little practice to coordinate the work, but there is little damage to the PCB. If you hold onto the pin with the pliers and then heat the other side of the PCB you will likely damage the PCB.
    When a second person is not available to supply that third hand I find one of these comes in handy.

http://www.panavise.com/index.html?p...ECTIONSword=ww

It's still difficult to co-ordinate your own two hands on opposite sides of a circuit board so I try not to. Obviously the aim is not to stress the substrate or traces on the circuit board. So don't put stress on the pin when the solder isn't liquefied. Working from the "bottom" side of the board, I heat the joint till the pin is loose then use the iron tip to push it "up" through the hole until it is as close to flush as possible. Then use your solder removal trick of choice to remove as much solder as you can from that side of the board. Then I flip the board, trap the now protruding pin with the iron tip while reheating the pin and solder. When the solder is liquefied, grab the pin with the pliers and it will slide right out.
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

I have just remembered there are several versions of the M8330. Mine was made in 1974 and marked K and J on one handle.
    I do not have the correct drawings for it and cant seem to locate them.

Anybody know where they are located?

Rod

I emailed you an M8330 revision
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

System went back to storage to-day to await working M8330 Timing board

R

What is the next project?
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Next (Current) project is a PDP-11/73 with CQD 220A SCSI controller connected to a DSP5200 drive to replace a very bad RD53 on a RQDX3.

I have retained the RQDX3 to control the RX50 (Now DU0 on primary address)

So far the SCSI controller is in and working. Drive formatted nicely. (Secondary CSR address)

I can see the drive from the PDP-11 diagnostics DU6 (Thinks its an RA90)

All I am short is an RX50 distribution of any suitable PDP-11 operating system to install.

Then install OS and see if we can boot from DU6

Time to do battle with PUTR to create some RX50 install disks. (Not easy I fear)

R

I have some detailed instructions for creating a bootable RX50 RT11 disk using PUTR that might help -> http://avitech.com.au/?page_id=645#background

Another option of course is to boot your 11/73 from a TU58 emulator over a serial port. You can then install RT-11 on to your MSCP SCSI drive (or on to your formatted RX50 disk) direct from the DD device.

Thank you I will follow the link.
    As to the TU58. Well I have real restored working one.

Jörg Hoppe has done a nice job with TU58FS. Connect two serial ports to your computer and use the one of the oversized RT disk images and then everything is set. Something like INIT DU6:, COPY/SYS *.* DU6:, COPY/BOOT: DU RT11SJ.SYS DU6: and then you should be able to boot your disk. Depending on the serial line speed it can be from very slow to reasonably fast. I have been running TU58FS over 9600bps. Works, takes quite some time to copy the full RT11 oversized emulated disk onto a RD51.

Another route I sometimes take is to do the install in SimH. Then I copy the image to a SD-card and use a SCSI2SD adapter. I could then copy the entire disk on to the real SCSI disk. COPY/DEV in RT11 can be used or use a Linux system with SCSI card to do a dd operation.

Sounds good.
    But I have to work with what I have:

An 11/73 with:
    One serial (console) line
    An RX50 booting xxdp
    A CQD220 SCSI controller with a DSP5200s attached.
    RT11 customer diagnostics A and B

The DSP5200S is formatted and is seen as DU6

One PC running windows 10

There's no Linux systems, no C compilers, emulators or weird hardware available.

But I do have a Rainbow which I could get going.

All I need is to make a set of RX50 installation disks for any PDP-11 operating system and load it via the RX50.

R