Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: TRS-80 Model III Insides

Default Wanted: TRS-80 Model III Insides

This might be a long shot, but I figure I'll give it a shot. I have a TRS-80 Model III that was working for a while, but then died. I sent all the internal boards to a guy to repair, but he has dropped off the face of the earth. So now I have a TRS-80 Model III case with the disk drives and monitor, but that's all. Does anyone have a the 'guts' of a model III that they'd be willing to sell/trade? Maybe from a Model III with a broken case or something? I don't see any point in buying a whole new machine when I have half of it already (not to mention they're really heavy to ship).

I do believe in theory that a Model 4 mainboard would work. They are basically an enhanced model III and do boot into Model III mode by default. In case you may want to try that here is one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRS-80-Model...cAAOSw76pZkMVl

Just that the cassette port is on the opposite side of the III.
    *FrankG*
    Just a few old dust collectors that work! Sort of! Or when they decide to!
    TRS-80 Model III , Pentium 233 "Tweener"

Interesting. I'd still need the power and disk controller boards though.

Ah ok I thought you had the controller. Check that seller I think he has the disk controller. And here is a MIII Power supply: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRS-80-Model...oAAOSwONBZBTZz
    *FrankG*

Yeah actually he has a model 4 power supply, drive board, main board, and serial board. Could I really put all those in my Model III and make a Model 4?

You would need the model 4 wiring harness most likely. And a better CRT the MIII CRT is not very good it's TV grade not computer grade like the M4 has and would not display the Model 4 characters very well would be blurry! And a new left side of the drive support tower to mount the M4 power supply.

My suggestion is to just go with the MIII stuff. MIII power supply and drive controller. Oh do you still have the power cables that went to the floppy drives and the floppy controller from the 2nd power supply? Oh also do you have 1 power supply in the system right now? If not then would need a 2nd power Supply too.

So not an easy task.
    *FrankG*

I'll have to look what I have left. I think it's just the monitor guts and disk drives.

Ok then let me know. I have to look at one of my junk boxes I think there are some TRS-80 parts in there. I know I have a Model 4 power supply just needs a resistor replaced.
    *FrankG*

No M4 power cable harness in my junk box. Thought I might have one.
    *FrankG*

Yes, I have the whole "can. Main logic, FDC, RS232, all-round shielding, and, if you need it, the smaller 40W power supply.

All tested and working. Just screw it in, hook it up and you're back in business again.

I also have a Model 4 128K setup with the same things. You'd just have to get a Model IV keyboard

PM me.
    Last edited by Druid6900; August 18th, 2017 at 07:06 AM.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.