Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PS2 Model 25-004 Questions

Default PS2 Model 25-004 Questions

I recently got an IBM PS/2 Model 25-004, single floppy drive. Boots to basic fine, and occasionally will boot to DOS from floppy.

A few questions -
    1st, the floppy drive is iffy. Only reads disks 1/2 the time, if that. I'm reading that bad caps are a common problem, and I'm going to guess that's my issue, but input is appreciated before I go trying to find parts.

2nd, there is no hard drive installed, but I see a ~40 pin header on the motherboard, I'm guessing is for a hard drive. What hard drives are compatible? Is it a standard 40 pin "IDE" cable, or do I need a special cable for it? Should I just go XT-IDE with CF?

3rd, What's the big 1/4" phono style jack on the back for?

Lastly, while the color screen is beautiful, and all the colors seem to show fine with the system test disk, the white text in DOS & Basic seems a bit 'purplish', any ideas if there's an adjustment?
    Last edited by zombienerd; August 17th, 2017 at 06:06 PM.
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004. Compaq Contura 4/25C.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, C64. Packard Bell Legend 20CD.

Clean the floppy first, if you haven't. Otherwise, yes, capacitors are sometimes a problem with them.

The drive is a "planar" drive, I forget what the internal signaling is, but it's not 16-bit IDE (it may be XTA, many of the later ones were ESDI). Your best bet is an XT-IDE, as you mentioned. Personally I use industrial Flash modules (DOMs) instead of CF cards, but if you do use a CF card, make sure you get an adapter that supports 5V on IDE pin 20, so you don't need to hack a power cable into the harness. As you probably noticed, there are no Molex power connectors inside!

Blog Entries

The phono jack really is an audio jack. It only redirects the PC speaker to an external speaker. Don't expect too much out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    The phono jack really is an audio jack. It only redirects the PC speaker to an external speaker. Don't expect too much out of it.
    That's actually kinda nifty.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

The HD is ST-506 if I remember. I have the tech ref manual somewhere. I'm the Model 25 guru. I know perhaps TOO much about these damned things, lol.

The floppy drive, clean the drive if it fails, yes, a recap is going to be needed. I might make a video on this honestly.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I might make a video on this honestly.

Please do. I have some floppy drives from a Model 95 that need to be re-capped and I've no idea how to do this efficiently.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

I already cleaned the heads and lubricated everything. Guess it's going to be a recap. Hopefully the values are visible. Evildragon, do you happen to know the ones needed for the job? I would definitely make a video of this procedure myself, when I do it. :P

This is the hard drive interface..

http://i.imgur.com/Do6VMR6.png
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by zombienerd View Post
    I already cleaned the heads and lubricated everything. Guess it's going to be a recap. Hopefully the values are visible. Evildragon, do you happen to know the ones needed for the job? I would definitely make a video of this procedure myself, when I do it. :P
    The cap values should be on the caps themselves.. Every drive is different, you'll just want to see what values are there right now, and replace with electrolytics of the same value. Mind the polarity!

Honestly, it REALLY pains me to say it, but as someone with five of these systems, do yourself a favor and give up NOW finding a working hard drive at a reasonable price. This machine is a PRIME candidate for an XT-IDE CF card.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.