Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lo-tech: An Update / What's happening with Lo-tech

Good to hear things are progressing Kevin.

I'm quite proud to announce that Lo-tech is now powering part of BT's recording studio. BT is an American musician widely credited as a pioneer of trance and intelligent dance styles. BT posted this on Instagram yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYjVL9FgddC/

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Williams View Post
    Hello Again. I did run 10 boards of each using HASL for now just to make sure we don't have any production problems. Much to my surprise, the boards came in already and look pretty good. The HASL boards do contain lead, so they will only be available in the USA initially. I plan on doing a larger run with ENIG next time around for now. I personally like the HASL boards myself over ENIG, but they probably won't be around too much longer.
    One of the benefits of selective hard gold is that you get to keep the HASL finish on the rest of the board, which does indeed make soldering nicer. HASL on an edge connecto wears in pretty fast though, and the solder dust goes somewhere, mostly into the ISA slot. My prototypes are of course HASL edge connectors, but those don't get sold to people. Just used for prototyping and sometimes experimentation (I cut them up for the Slot 8 Support tests, since they're not good for much else).

Of course, if you're ordering in QTY 10 for "production" runs, you'll never get the cost down on selective hard gold plating. I doubt very many shops would even want to do selective hard gold on an order that small.

New devices as "ready-to-go" would be also nice. (e.g. XT-IDE combinded with an EGA/VGA or an Adlib/Clone.)

Those kinds of cards would be a tremendous amount of design effort. Kevin is though intending to offer assembled boards.

Hello Everyone,

We're a week or so behind, but we're getting close to our soft-launch date. We will only have only a few boards of each in stock to start and I will be placing an order for more shortly after we get rolling and get the bugs worked out. The first batch will be HASL boards. Personally, I like these myself as they seem bullet-proof, but with the global lead restrictions, I will be using ENIG long-term. Just be aware on the first batch we will likely sell to the USA only, just to make sure we aren't sending lead to a location which has a restriction.

Take care everyone, and thanks!
    -Kevin

I'd just like to raise concern again that HASL is totally inappropriate for the edge connector on a production board. You're likely leading people down a long-term maintenance headache. There's a reason HASL boards have a solderability shelf life, and the same oxidization that builds up on the solder, making it difficult to solder without an extremely aggressive flux, will build up and cause intermittent or failed contact in the ISA edge connector. ENIG is better than HASL, but not a whole lot -- since it's so thin (a few atoms of gold) you quickly end up down to the nickel underplating, and then down to the copper, both of which oxidize and create higher resistance connections.

Hello Everyone,

The site is up! We are live for orders and are working on new products to add right now. If anyone has anything they would like to see, please let me know. We have a DIY reflow oven, and are able to build decent SMD boards, as long as they're not too fine-pitch. Come check us out @ https://TexElec.com.

We will have a very limited supply of most items in stock right now, but will get more added as we build some traffic.

Have a great evening everyone.
    -Kevin

Hi Again Everyone,

We sold out of our TI-99/4a joystick adaptors, so we placed another PCB order. So, we ordered a round of the CompactFlash adapters in ENIG. Should be in stock in about 3 weeks, or less. We are waiting to sell the other boards to order more, but it should be pretty soon.

Thanks everyone!
    -Kevin Williams
    https://texelec.com

Sorry to bump this thread but I would like to know if finally the Lo-Tech products are being marketed from Europe or TexElec in USA are the only providers?

Not that i'm aware of, It's just TexElec these days, Why ? beats me.