Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lo-tech: An Update / What's happening with Lo-tech

Quote Originally Posted by jltursan View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread but I would like to know if finally the Lo-Tech products are being marketed from Europe or TexElec in USA are the only providers?
    We have a contract with James and are the only official Lo-Tech partner and are located in the US. However, we do ship worldwide.

Shipping is a killer though.. card $12.99, shipping $14 (even though that's not the worst shipping prices I've seen. But it's a no-no for just getting one card.)

Quote Originally Posted by sarawill View Post
    We have a contract with James and are the only official Lo-Tech partner and are located in the US. However, we do ship worldwide.
    I'm aware of the contract but unfortunately getting them shipped over from the US to the UK for example is expensive, what with the extra charges incurred these days, It can nigh on triple the cost of a bare PCB and that's without sourcing the parts to build, It was different in the early days of the XT-IDE project, There was no GSP / Import duties / VAT or extra courier charges, I just paid the shipping cost $13 to ship 3 complete kits and 10 days later they were at my door, Unfortunately times change and as it then was an affordable option, These days it's getting more un-affordable.

Not your fault i know,

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Shipping is a killer though.. card $12.99, shipping $14 (even though that's not the worst shipping prices I've seen. But it's a no-no for just getting one card.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I'm aware of the contract but unfortunately getting them shipped over from the US to the UK for example is expensive, what with the extra charges incurred these days, It can nigh on triple the cost of a bare PCB and that's without sourcing the parts to build, It was different in the early days of the XT-IDE project, There was no GSP / Import duties / VAT or extra courier charges, I just paid the shipping cost $13 to ship 3 complete kits and 10 days later they were at my door, Unfortunately times change and as it then was an affordable option, These days it's getting more un-affordable.

Not your fault i know,
    I wish it was cheaper for international orders, we only charge actual shipping costs, not a penny more. We do offer some of them assembled and we are working on offering a few more completed, but not all. Would offering kits with parts included make it a little more worth the shipping costs? We have considered that on a at least one card. Some of the cards have chips that are temperature sensitive as well as having expiration dates, so those cards will never be offered in kit form. Some of these are slow sellers, so that's not a viable option in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by sarawill View Post
    I wish it was cheaper for international orders, we only charge actual shipping costs, not a penny more. We do offer some of them assembled and we are working on offering a few more completed, but not all.
    Personally i prefer to build my own, It's a lot more fun and cheaper.

Would offering kits with parts included make it a little more worth the shipping costs?.
    No, not in my opinion, It would still end up too expensive.

An EU supplier of Lo-tech cards is the only way i can see of getting the cost's down.

Personally i prefer to build my own, It's a lot more fun and cheaper.

No, not in my opinion, It would still end up too expensive.

An EU supplier of Lo-tech cards is the only way i can see of getting the cost's down.
    We do sell many different products and are still expanding our catalog, so hopefully we will be offering more items that will motivate you to take a chance on us. We do sell quite a bit, not just to the UK, but across the globe. I feel very lucky that not everyone feels this same way. Hopefully at some point Royal Mail will get their head on straight and stop with all the extra fees, I have heard they can be a problem. I am hoping to find a shipping method that doesn't invoke fees at it's whim.

Developing, producing and stocking niche products is pretty difficult. IMO it is something well worth paying for. Especially when postage rates and all other border related topics are outside the control of the purveyor.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    Developing, producing and stocking niche products is pretty difficult. IMO it is something well worth paying for. Especially when postage rates and all other border related topics are outside the control of the purveyor.
    When shipping cost's alone are added in, It can triple the price of just 1 PCB, So No it's not well worth it IMO.

When shipping cost's alone are added in, It can triple the price of just 1 PCB, So No it's not well worth it IMO.
    You could always do what i did before TexElec came along, I bought 5 PCB's from James and built them all, kept 1, sold the rest with just enough profit that mine ended up being free (not including my time).
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

No one is blaming texelec of course. I believe what Malc is trying to say is that in general buying from US while residing outside of it is really expensive considering shipping itself AND customs, so it is for these fantastic products as well. I feel the same btw, buying something that costs ~10 and ending up paying ~50 (if not more) is not logical. OK you'll do it for something that you really want and there are no alternatives, but very few times. Of course this used to be the other way around when lo-tech was shipping to the US.