Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lo-tech: An Update / What's happening with Lo-tech

Quote Originally Posted by konc View Post
    No one is blaming texelec of course. I believe what Malc is trying to say is that in general buying from US while residing outside of it is really expensive considering shipping itself AND customs, so it is for these fantastic products as well. I feel the same btw, buying something that costs ~10 and ending up paying ~50 (if not more) is not logical. OK you'll do it for something that you really want and there are no alternatives, but very few times. Of course this used to be the other way around when lo-tech was shipping to the US.
    I live in Australia so I get it, just saying what I did.

Many of my customers have bought from TE and have been very happy with their cards and service, so I highly recommend them as a result (maybe I should ask for a referral fee? ).
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Yep, that's the point, TexElec work has been great taking care of the Lo-Tech developments; but USPS (the cheapest shipment I suppose) has been raising prices since some years ago and even small items cost a lot, add the item cost and you're on the verge of nearly doubling the total amount. Add some components to the PCB shipment and you pay for sure (and add some time to fill papers). All in all a very frustrating experience...

And reading dJOS, I remember buying from him some items and I didn't pay taxes even coming from Australia. In my own experience, US shipments are severely taxed
    Last edited by jltursan; September 27th, 2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by jltursan View Post
    And reading dJOS, I remember buying from him some items and I don't pay taxes even coming from Australia. In my own experience, US shipments are severely taxed
    TBH I'm working the system at my end - I work for Australia post (IT) so I'm able to get away with sending my products overseas as Large International letters as long as I keep my shipping weight under 250 grams and the thickness under 4 centimetres. This keeps my shipping costs quite low and means I don't need to fill out customs paper work. It also means my products avoid taxes in the EU/GB.

The only downside is it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

I know this thread is old, but I just discovered lo-tech products...

I'd like to add another vote for hard gold on the edge connector. If you do a large production run (200+) it's really not that much more costly and it adds tremendous long term value to the product.

Pretty excited to discover there is a DIY EMS board solution available! Maybe the next restock will be hard gold