Image Map Image Map

Thread: Looking for ideas on what is causing 5162 diags to freak out

Blog Entries

Default Looking for ideas on what is causing 5162 diags to freak out

I have an IBM 5162 that, aside from a failing ST-251 which I'm about to remove, works 100% perfectly. I've used it for many hours, tried lots of demanding software on it (timing-sensitive, custom hardware boards, etc.) and it runs everything perfectly...

...Except the actual 5170/5162 2.07 Diagnostics diskette. I've verified the disk, and a copy of it, read just fine on the 5162's floppy drive, but when I run it, I get strange combinations of characters that aren't printing out:

diagswtf.jpg

(in the screenshot, you can see 4 lines are mangled) Because I can't get the diags to work, I doubt I'll be able to test some of the option hardware I have installed that the diags supports... I can't even change the hard drive type (with this program). Again, I stress that the system works perfectly otherwise, it's just the diags that fail in this very odd way.

So, how does one diag the diag?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    So, how does one diag the diag?
    Try another disk.

I have v2.07 if you want it.

I also have v1.00 and v2.03.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

I had similar issues when I tried to run the same diag on my 5162. I'll see if I get a chance this week to run try it again and post my results. Maybe send me a copy of the same one you are running and I'll see what it does on my unit as well.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

And I have images of 1.02 and 2.02 if you need to devolve....
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

It almost looks like the CGA test interferes with the characters writing to the screen. Could it be caused by the different RAM timing on the XT/286? Also would the old/new versions of the CGA card make any difference?
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Try another disk. I have v2.07 if you want it.
    I tested with v2.07. I made sure that the mangled strings it was trying to print out were indeed intact in the program executable(s), and I made sure that the disk was fully readable by the computer before trying to boot from it.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I had similar issues when I tried to run the same diag on my 5162. I'll see if I get a chance this week to run try it again and post my results. Maybe send me a copy of the same one you are running and I'll see what it does on my unit as well.
    I was using modem7's download: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/soft...stics_2.07.zip

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post
    It almost looks like the CGA test interferes with the characters writing to the screen. Could it be caused by the different RAM timing on the XT/286? Also would the old/new versions of the CGA card make any difference?
    I had a VGA card in this system. Hm... that's something I hadn't thought of. Maybe the diagnostics don't deal well with VGA? I will try replacing the VGA card with CGA and see if it works any better.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I tested with v2.07. I made sure that the mangled strings it was trying to print out were indeed intact in the program executable(s), and I made sure that the disk was fully readable by the computer before trying to boot from it.
    Sounds like you have those bases covered.

I had a VGA card in this system. Hm... that's something I hadn't thought of. Maybe the diagnostics don't deal well with VGA? I will try replacing the VGA card with CGA and see if it works any better.
    Definitely a reasonable possibility. I wasn't aware that you were using VGA.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Is your bios stock or modified/upgraded?

Blog Entries

BIOS is stock.

Found the problem: The 8-bit Hercules VGA card was at fault. This card was known to have some compatibility issues at the time (see 1989 Inforworld archives) but the system came to me that way from an IBM employee so I never questioned it. I replaced with it a completely generic 16-bit VGA card (no idea what model is, it has a Western Digital chipset) and the problem completely went away:

fixed.jpg

I'll drop a note to modem7.
    Offering a bounty for: