Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I bought proper solar eclipse glasses for everybody...

Default So, I bought proper solar eclipse glasses for everybody...

... and we woke up to rain this morning. It's still cloudy now, so I don't think we'll see much.

There's currently a small piece of the sun missing here. Free eclipse glasses from one of the museums in Chicago -- Amy was there for a mathematics conference recently and they were handing them out.

It's partly cloudy here, so I've had to cup my hands around the glasses to block out ambient light.

Blog Entries

We are also completely over cast here, but we actually got to see a bit of it through the clouds. The best part was we did not need glasses as they sun was about as bright as a full moon. Looked pretty cool!

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

Good clear morning here--about 20 miles south of totality, so 98-99 percent obscuring. It got dark and a bit cooler; it got lighter. Like watching paint dry. Projected crowds and parking-lot interstate freeway didn't happen as predicted--much over-hyped.

I had my #13 welding googles as well as a projection system that gives an image about 4-5" in diameter.

Mostly overcast in the Twin Cities. Got a few breaks in the clouds at approx max coverage (80%) and saw enough to feel like I experienced it.

We were around 90% here, it did get noticeably cooler, the crickets started up, mosquitoes came out, and I could hear whoever's rooster that lives at the edge of town. Light level was about that of an overcast day (sky was clear at maximum). Pretty neat, but I don't think we'd have driven to see totality even if we weren't busy today.

Blog Entries

Eclipse? What eclipse? I didn't see any stinking eclipse. Too cloudy maybe.

As it turned out, I got a couple of glimpses of it with the glasses, during breaks in the cloud. Also, at maximum (84%) the cloud thinned enough to view it with the naked eye. Not bad, but not as impressive as the 99% one that I photographed in the UK, a while back.

Blog Entries

100% Here. It was impressive at totality and especially the moments when the sun started peeking out. Looked like a Diamond Ring. Got some bitch-en pics.
    DSC01296.jpgDSC01297.jpgDSC01298.jpg

Blog Entries

After seeing my first near-total solar eclipse, I'll take the lunar ones. They last longer and are more interesting to watch.