Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 Bit Guy new video - Restoring a PET

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    The heat trick appeared to work - or do you think he faked the result?
    I didn't say it didn't work, I said I questioned the method. There's no way to determine the melting point of various plastics just by looking at them (until you wind up with a melted piece of plastic). Streaking is bad, but you can still use the end result -- not so if you melt the item you're trying to brighten.

The alternative would be to make a sort of bath of peroxide solution and immerse the item(s) fully; fine for the key caps but too expensive for larger parts as he says.
    This is currently the only method that doesn't streak. It's not terribly expensive (you use two or three 16oz. bottles which is about $22, fill in the rest with water, hope you can get enough sunlight in the 2-3 hours it will take for the H2O2 to neutralize).

I thought I'd try this heat based process and see if it works or not.
    Don't do it with anything you cherish.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Continuing the Commodore Series - Released this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9y_7it3ZM
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004. Compaq Contura 4/25C.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, C64. Packard Bell Legend 20CD.

Quote Originally Posted by zombienerd View Post

I'm impressed by his PET drawing program. I didn't realize he could write code

He mentions the Killer Poke.

Isn't that
    A) Somewhat apocryphal (from the perspective of damaged PETs), and
    B) Only (potentially) dangerous on the CTRC equipped PET?

I used it to speed up screen drawing routines: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...22-Killer-POKE

Quote Originally Posted by JNZ View Post
    I'm impressed by his PET drawing program. I didn't realize he could write code
    He's actually written a few games for the Commodore, and will be releasing a new one soon.

The intro scrawl for his videos was written on a C64, if I remember correctly.
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004. Compaq Contura 4/25C.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, C64. Packard Bell Legend 20CD.

Quote Originally Posted by zombienerd View Post

I saw that. I like his vids and look forward to the next in the series but this regarding the PET:

"They're not really all that much to actually use"

Most people would say that about any vintage system today. But back in the day wheb they were still for sale and in a lot of schools they were extremely fun to use. I had a 64 in 1983, my first year in high-school, but I would spend many of my lunch breaks on the PET 4032 that we had in our computer lab, next to a TRS-80 Model III and an Apple II. I always chose the PET to mess around with because it was fun to use the programs that we had.

So yeah there were enough people at the dawn of the PC that loved using the PET and still do today.