Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentium II MMX and MS-DOS 6.22

Default Pentium II MMX and MS-DOS 6.22

There's a great price for a Pentium II MMX 350mhz PC where the motherboard has USB. If I get it I would like to put MS-DOS 6.22 on it... even though it has USB. Which would just be ignored? I know there are no USB drivers or it? Or are there?

Or on a machine like that should I use Windows 95/98? I mean I don't really care about USB just want a retro gaming box again after my P5-90 crapped on me. And I'm thinking about getting a slightly newer system where the motherboard uses CR2032s for CMOS rather than RTCs. It costs about what I'd pay for a new motherboard.

Blog Entries

Believe it or not, there is limited support for USB mass storage devices (i.e. flash drives) available for MS-DOS.

Here's a YT video that covers things Check the comments.

There is also a later driver called DOSUSB that claims USB 3.0 support. But it's not a freebie.

I like Win98SE's DOS 7 command prompt (non-GUI) mode for running DOS programs. Add DOSLFN as a driver and you even get long filename support.

Also, check out bootdisk's drivers

I use the Panasonic universal usbaspi.sys driver and the Motto Hairu USB Mass storage Driver (di1000dd.sys) for my DOS USB drives with excellent results on my 233 MHz board with a PCI USB card.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

I wonder if there would be a way to get my Gravis Eliminator GamePad Pro to work with this as it's USB. But I guess then I'd need Windows 98. It's a nice controller for Shoot'em'up games as it's kinda like a joystick.

Blog Entries

The problem with DOS and USB is that you have to keep the driver model pretty simple. Adding special drivers makes things complicated. Basically, most of the DOS USB drivers reduce the commend set to ASPI-type SCSI commands. A game pad doesn't fit well into this model.

Some of the mass-storage drivers that you'll run into aren't even hot-plug (i.e. you can't simply remove or add a USB drive after booting the system).

My Tweener is a K6-2 400 box with PLOP boot manager allowing a dual boot between Dos 6.22 and Windows 98 SE with full USB Mass storage capability, it's on the internet, and it has a 3.5, 5.25 and ZIP drive as well.

I find this works well for just about anything I need to transfer from one medium to another.

You should pick it up, grab a few DOM's and load up both OS's like I did. It's a great setup to have and can do absolutely anything I've asked of it.
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Thinkpad 385ED, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B", VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: Inexpensive 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, 486 Desktop, C64.

Blog Entries

While your thread has already had everything answered...
    If I get it I would like to put MS-DOS 6.22 on it... even though it has USB. Which would just be ignored? I know there are no USB drivers or it? Or are there?
    MS-DOS exclusively on a Pentium II is pretty overkill. USB included, half the hardware by that point was expecting a higher-level operating system to be installed. That isn't to say as others have pointed out that aftermarket support was eventually added but I find a lot of it is a real hack and not worth the effort. (EG: USB support under Windows NT 4 even is really, really primitive)

Windows 98 Second Edition is a good combination for this board, minimum 64mb ram (and your limit is 512mb). It included by that point a "useable" implimentation of USB support, support for DVD drives, enhanced filesystem support and a few other goodies that either did not yet exist with Windows 95 or was not fully supported. DOS gaming is as easy as opening an MS-DOS prompt for everything but the most picky of games (and by that point you should be running something much older anyways).
    = Excellent space heater

But I just like MS-DOS... I do have Windows 98 SE... are there drivers for Sound Blaster Pro 2 for it? I know it would be overkill to put pure DOS on but for $60... why the hell not?

I can get most of my Win9x games to run on my Windows 7 32bit machine and those that have real issues work on my Windows XP laptop... I just loved the MS-DOS/Windows 3.11 combo.

Should be fine. Skip USB. I burn CD-Rs to transfer files. SB Pro is a strong hardware DOS card.

Would 256 MB ram cause issues in DOS? If I get it should I put in 64mb stick instead?