Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentium II MMX and MS-DOS 6.22

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TravisHuckins View Post
    Would 256 MB ram cause issues in DOS? If I get it should I put in 64mb stick instead?
    MS-DOS with an expanded memory handler can only address up to 64mb.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Maybe EMS, but XMS third-party drivers are available (along with matching RAMdisk drivers) for memory up to 2GB.

Blog Entries

IF all he is going to do is game the best he'll ever use is 16mb.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

If you've got more, why not use it for something? I've got 1GB RAMdrives on a couple of Win98 boxes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I use the Panasonic universal usbaspi.sys driver and the Motto Hairu USB Mass storage Driver (di1000dd.sys) for my DOS USB drives with excellent results on my 233 MHz board with a PCI USB card.
    Ditto, Works great with my USB flash drives, I also use 'LoadSys' to load / unload the driver when needed.

Some games may not work properly. I have a Pentium 200 system where I pulled 64MB out so I just have 16MB left. That solved a lot of stability / not running issues for older games.

Got a Pentium 120 CPU in the mail yesterday. Will probably put that in. Some games run a bit too fast in a Pentium 200.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    MS-DOS with an expanded memory handler can only address up to 64mb.
    FreeDOS can handle up to ~4 GB with memory expanders IIRC. I've installed it on machines with 512 MB+ and I recall it seeing all of it as expanded/extended memory, but that was a long time ago.

I'd question the need for such a ridiculous amount of RAM on a DOS machine unless you were writing your own OS or something to take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLI View Post
    Some games may not work properly. I have a Pentium 200 system where I pulled 64MB out so I just have 16MB left. That solved a lot of stability / not running issues for older games.
    Yeah, I remember running into that problem back when I had Windows 98SE as my main rig in the late 90s. Some DOS games like Duke3D had a bug where if you had over a certain amount of RAM, the RAM check would overflow and it would refuse to install. DOS4GW also seemed to have a lot of problems with lots of memory installed and applications that used it frequently crashed.

Blog Entries

FreeDOS can handle up to ~4 GB with memory expanders IIRC. I've installed it on machines with 512 MB+ and I recall it seeing all of it as expanded/extended memory, but that was a long time ago.
    FreeDOS is a bloated sack of open source trash. I never consider or suggest it as an alternative.
    = Excellent space heater

^^ FreeDOS works great and I run it on everything. There's no way I'd bother with MS-DOS unless I needed to run an old version (3.3, etc.) on something ancient. YMMV.

MS-DOS 6.22 works great.