Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been watching this auction...

Default I've been watching this auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altair-8800-...-/401392424758

It is crazy - up to 2800 with almost 6 hours to go.

I would love to have an Altair 8800, but the pricing is insane. What really kills me is when they open the box and all it has is 2 boards in it with a little 4 slot backplane!

I've seen altairkit.com and altairclone.com, but for as few boards as there are in this machine, are there any more reproductions out there?

Maybe it's time to stop watchin' it?
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

I don't think I'd bid on it.

Looks like Shill Bidding is what has bumped the price up.

With one exception, the only people bidding after $250 have FeedBack Numbers of 1 or 2.

What am I missing here? This was an early Rev-0 Altair with a very intact early silkscreen (almost never seen, usually they are worn). This should be worth a bunch more than it was sold for. Then again, I haven't looked at the pictures that closely on a real monitor, just my iPhone.

Looks like a great machine---4 slot motherboard with only two edge connectors, CPU and 1K RAM. With docs, a warranty card, and an apparent purchase date of 2/28/75? This Altair looks like a time capsule from the dawn of the era. You could buy this and pretend you're Steve Dompier. Ah... envy.

I expected it to go higher, as well.

*All* Altairs are expensive nowadays -- even the lowly Turnkey (ironically, the best of the bunch in terms of actually *working* ) goes for $2500 with a minimal board set, in tested/working condition. You can still sometimes grab a banged up or empty chassis for under $1000.

As Corey said, this is a very early rev 0 Altair, the fact that it has the 4-slot backplane and only two boards actually *increases* the value. This was the original configuration. For people wanting to collect systems like these, that adds a lot of value. For someone wanting to hack on the S-100 bus, it makes the machine less desirable. I would suggest that anyone actually wanting to hack on a S-100 based front panel machine would do well to avoid a stock Rev 0 Altair, unless it just falls into your lap through a local purchase or something.

Re: "I've seen altairkit.com and altairclone.com ... are there any more reproductions out there? "

Well, it's not an exact reproduction, but there is the Altair-Duino, https://www.altairduino.com/. Looks like a fun kit. I've ordered one but haven't yet built it.

Just so I'm clear ... is the four-slot backplane how you know you've got a rev 0 Altair? I ask because an Altair 8800 matching that description came my way a few months ago (needing some serious restoration work, which I hope to get to one of these days ... ).

I ordered the altairduino today - it was much more in my budget than the altairclone.

Quote Originally Posted by Worblehat View Post
    Just so I'm clear ... is the four-slot backplane how you know you've got a rev 0 Altair? I ask because an Altair 8800 matching that description came my way a few months ago (needing some serious restoration work, which I hope to get to one of these days ... ).
    The power supply is the other typical giveaway. Dress panel differences can also give a clue as to the age of the machine. It's important to remember that these machines *could* be cobbed together from various bits to make a machine that looks like a rev 0 Altair. Everything interchanges on the S-100 Altairs, from the rev 0 through the 8800B Turnkey. The Altair I use for debugging and proving out other MITS boards is itself a Franken-mutt: 8800B Turnkey chassis and power supply, motherboard out of an 8800A, 8800B full front panel from a parts lot, et c.

Don't forget there's also the Briel Altair 8800micro: http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=18