Image Map Image Map

Thread: The Mavica is in

Default The Mavica is in

A few days ago, I bought a Sony Digital Mavica FD73,

it just came in today:

^ This last image, is of the Acer Acros, this was taken with the Mavica as a test photo.

It's in good condition, just needs a little goo-gone, and the lens and lcd screen need to be cleaned, but overall very good condition.

Speaking of cleaning lenses and LCD screens, can someone recommend what to use, so that I don't accidentally damage something?

I use distilled water and a microfiber cloth, same as I use for the TV.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

I use what Stone uses only I add a small amount of white vinegar to the distilled water. Be careful not to let what ever you use run inside the LCD frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I use what Stone uses only I add a small amount of white vinegar to the distilled water. Be careful not to let what ever you use run inside the LCD frame.
    I used distilled water, with a fresh new microfibre cloth, it worked.

Blog Entries

Why? They were cool iconic cameras in the day, I used on extensively for our year book in '98, but I do not miss the thing. It was heavy and the damn disks were about as reliable as air travel (that is to say, sometimes they land on time, most often they do not).

I'd say digital cameras are one tech that has definitely come a long way and the "modern" ones are without a doubt superior to their decades old relatives.

Still if it floats your boat, then I'm happy for you!

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Why? They were cool iconic cameras in the day, I used on extensively for our year book in '98, but I do not miss the thing. It was heavy and the damn disks were about as reliable as air travel (that is to say, sometimes they land on time, most often they do not).

I'd say digital cameras are one tech that has definitely come a long way and the "modern" ones are without a doubt superior to their decades old relatives.

Still if it floats your boat, then I'm happy for you!
    All of my computers that are not my modern ones, have a floppy drive, and all but one of them can run Windows 3.1 in 386 enhanced mode or higher (one is capable of XP, though originally designed for 98SE).

I did not have my own camera except for my phone, this costed me $10, and I can easily access the photos taken with this, also it's a great conversation piece and novelty item.

If I need to take more detailed photos, I will of course use my Iphone SE.

Blog Entries

I used one at work in the 1990's (640x480 pictures from what I recall). It was great back then. Didn't they end up making cameras that saved to CDR later on down the road?

Used digital cameras are so cheap these days. I purchased a few 8MP ones (I think 6mp+ was when they figured VR (vibration reduction)) for taking pictures of old gear. I have been tempted to get some old DSLR ones because of the good optics even if the resolutions isn't so great.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Sony had so many storage methods in the Mavica line it was a bit silly. 2" floppy, 3.5" floppy, memory stick (using floppy adapter at first), 8 cm recordable CD, MiniDisc, and I think there was a prototype HiFD superfloppy design to compete against the cameras using SuperDisk, Zip, and Clik! drives. IIRC, modified Mavica designs with memory stick but no floppy drive became the basis for a run of Cyber Shot cameras.

My wife bought one of those new, and I've picked up a few over the years. They are well built and last forever. The disks are pretty reliable if you get a good brand. Cheap disks are never a good idea.