Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Timeline of first IBM PC clone "luggables"

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    The 5155 Portable PC uses the same BIOS as the IBM XT, because it's literally just an XT in a luggable case. IBM didn't even bother to update the BIOS.
    Yes, I just checked... The 5155 doesn't even have its own machine type byte. It uses FEh, just as the XT does (5150 being FFh).

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    Yes, I just checked... The 5155 doesn't even have its own machine type byte. It uses FEh, just as the XT does (5150 being FFh).
    Now that's just plain lazy! I've heard that there were some incompatibilities between the Portable and the XT but I can't imagine what they'd be if it was just a repackaged XT. Or perhaps that was a little guerrilla marketing from Compaq

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    The IBM engineers probably said "Make a new machine type for the 5155? Feh! Who cares!?"

Quote Originally Posted by resman View Post
    Now that's just plain lazy! I've heard that there were some incompatibilities between the Portable and the XT but I can't imagine what they'd be if it was just a repackaged XT. Or perhaps that was a little guerrilla marketing from Compaq
    Physical incompatibilities. Most of the expansion slots are behind the drives and thus longer cards won't fit into them.