Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To all our members in TX and FL!

Just stay in the blockhouse.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Our house isn't blocks though, lol. It's wood frame and stucco.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Mine house is concrete luckily. There estimating winds around Orlando to be near 100Mph and maybe around 85-90 around here DeBary near Deltona and north of Sanford. And more than a foot of rain. Luckily I guess is that there is a lake in the back yard that is only about half full. So it should take most of the rain in. And my house is on concrete blocks an additional 1 foot above ground. And the blocks have holes in them to possibly let water pass under the house I guess.
    *FrankG*
    Just a few old dust collectors that work! Sort of! Or when they decide to!
    TRS-80 Model 4 , Model III, Pentium 233 "Tweener"

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome45 View Post
    Luckily I guess is that there is a lake in the back yard that is only about half full. So it should take most of the rain in.
    Actually it just the opposite.

Bodies of water, i.e., lakes and rivers, are the source of flooding. They do not buffer it. Hopefully a foot of rain is below the current flooding threshold.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

I'm going to "try" and live stream the hurricane as it is here in Orlando. Looks like we might get category 2 strength here.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Yeah it shifted more to the west. But still will have high Cat 1 or Cat 2 winds here too. And a few inches if rain maybe 8 - 10"

helpful little hint. Take a 32 gallon plastic trash can or metal. But some bricks in the bottom to weigh it down and let it collect the rain. I usually put one or 2 close to my house and let it collect the drops coming off the roof. I don't have down spouts

You can then use the water to flush toilets if you loose power. But defiantly not for drinking or bathing!!! I did this during the 2004 season and last year during Matthew. It helped out a lot.
    Last edited by Chromedome45; September 8th, 2017 at 06:30 PM.
    *FrankG*

I honestly had no problem during mathew. Never lost power, water, or even a single shingle on my home.

But for flushing toilets, I just fill the bath tub.

Hebron, Boone Township, Porter County, Indiana, USA

Catastrophic destruction aside, this much be great weather for hang gliding / wearing a flying suit. Imagine how high you could get!

Ok just reporting in. Had power outages since late Sunday. Just got back power about 2 hours ago. Had some limbs blow down but that is all. Me and the wife are fine along with the pets!
    *FrankG*

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome45 View Post
    Ok just reporting in. Had power outages since late Sunday. Just got back power about 2 hours ago. Had some limbs blow down but that is all. Me and the wife are fine along with the pets!
    I had power the whole time, some brown outs, but lost internet for a day. Cell service still isn't up for me correctly. Intermittent on data and voice. We lost our fence, mailbox needed repair, house lost some panels on the back so it leaks in the walls now when it rains.. Otherwise we are ok.