Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Searching for the Model 12 / 16B service manual

Nah it’s language gap. Google translate is gonna start a war one day. For all we know we are both being taken the wrong way. I honestly don’t think anyone is trying to offend and it just ends up happening.

Google translate expects us to follow the AP style of writing.

Google translate is crap, I often go in search of info and end up on foreign sites, Googles translation can be very funny, downright rude or complete nonsense a lot of times.

This is indeed unfortunate. Segmenting our knowledge base like this, locking up schematics in silos, is not good for the whole community (and I'm not talking just about the VCFed forum community, I'm talking about the whole community of Model II-series owners).

This is one reason I appreciate Pete's use of github for the model2archive, as it is really open and anyone can clone the entire repository and have everything with easy access. Archives, in my opinion, should be easy to replicate; we still don't have the marmotking archive back, for instance, and that archive had many files and documents that simply were not available anywhere else.

As much as I appreciate Pascal's contributions, and as much as I understand him being from a very different culture, speaking/writing a different language, etc, and as much as I understand his health issues I have to wonder about the wisdom of sending him potentially one-of-a-kind items for reverse engineering. It pains me to write that, as he has done some really great work with Hans, Ian, and others, and I mean absolutely no disrespect writing it. But I have no desire to send any unique items, documents, or whatnot to be locked-up out of reach of the community-at-large. That's one reason I sent my one LS-DOS 6.2.0beta for Model II disk to Pete; I knew it would go into github, and then easily be cloned all over, really shared with the community.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

lowen,
    That was stated perfectly, and I agree 100%. Maybe Pascal will have a change of heart and continue to help the community, versus
    trying to punish 99% of the VCF folks for what 1% did. I'm sure there are others out there that have created PCB's for the TRS-80
    computers, and then shared that work the same as Ian, JonB, Mark, and others I've forgotten at the moment. In fact I'm getting ready
    to supply some Edge Card Connector to 3.5" Floppy Adapter boards for the folks here at VCF for a minimum price. As long as I can recover
    postage and parts without going heavily in debt. I don't expect to get rich from the sales, but rather help folks make easy interfaces
    at the Adapter Board.

THANKS Pascal for your Hard Work.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I just wish I could communicate better with him, with idioms from his culture, and help reconcile him with this community. 'Give him a big hug' figuratively speaking; I read his post about his health issues, and I empathize with him. But I cannot adequately express that, since I'm not fluent in French and Google translate is inadequate.

In any case, this doesn't help Hans in his quest for more Model 12 information, and I would far prefer to be helpful than to inadvertently cause offense.

But, and I say this having been in the 'big-boned Tandy' community for a long time (28 years), I do get frustrated with a silo mentality when it comes to information. That's one of the things I miss most about David Dalager; I've not corresponded with very many who were as willing to share information as he was. I likewise sorely miss Guy Omer, who was the 'sharingest' BBS Sysop of the day. And I wish I had more time to write down and share some of the information I have available; that's part of the reason I post here.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!