Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attempting to copy files between diskettes - Model 1 NewDOS 80/v2

@Biff

Are we still talking about Newdos (ONLY)

What drive are you reading the files from ? Tracks - Sides etc.
    Extend via READ's fault is coming from the Source disk ?
    Are the Pdrives correct for the Source driver is the disk the same as the drive 40 - 40 80 - 80 No double stepping etc.
    Bypass MIRE, just use the machine as a standard Model 1 ( I assume you have an Expansion Interface ).

Good luck

Ray
    If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.
    Procrastinators Unite.
    I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Audronic View Post
    Are we still talking about Newdos (ONLY)
    Yes - NewDos/80 version 2.0

What drive are you reading the files from ? Tracks - Sides etc.
    5.25" drive 0, 40 track, SSDD

Extend via READ's fault is coming from the Source disk ?
    No - the errors appear after finishing the copy process.

Copy Process:
    Boot from System Disk in drive 0
    execute copy command
    Swap System Disk with Source Disk

wait for copy to finish

Swap Source Disk back with System Disk.

Check contents of drive 1 (3.5" 720K)
    Attempt to load a CMD program.
    1/2 of them would give the extend error.

Are the Pdrives correct for the Source driver is the disk the same as the drive 40 - 40 80 - 80 No double stepping etc.
    Yes

Bypass MIRE, just use the machine as a standard Model 1 ( I assume you have an Expansion Interface ).
    I do - have two EI's - but at this time, I have greater trust in the MIRE - I haven't done much testing of the EI's yet.

Jim

As an update, last night I changed the PDRIVE setting for drive 1 (3.5") to just show it as being Single Sided.
    Everything I copied to it worked nice.
    I'm going to leave it like this until I have time to muck with any jumpers etc on it.

I'm in the middle of attempting to upgrade my MIRE from the firmware that shipped with it (May) to the latest stuff - and I needed the 3.5" working to hold the PIC Hex file.
    I'm pretty sure the setup is working properly now - with it being configured to only use 1 side.
    At least the hex loader validated the file OK.

Yeah, your after writing issues is exactly what I had happen. No errors until a few files copied then ugh.

I upgraded mine, be sure you follow his instructions. If you don't USB-blast the FPGA don't do the PIC.

For the record, same issue with my EI and percom doubler.

@Biff
    Hi Jim
    ? are the Pdrives of the " Source " Disk the same as the System disk ???
    The errors will only be reported as soon as the "System" disk is back on line, The error reporting system/s are not available until then.
    Is there any chance that you can have Drive 0 (Zero) system disk, 1 (One) source disk, 2/3 (two or 3) as the destination disk.
    Good luck
    Ray
    If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.
    Procrastinators Unite.
    I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    Jim,
    If your 3.5" Floppy is strapped for Drive Select 1 (0,1,2,3) then it should work if you pull Pin 2 of the 3.5" Floppy LOW.

Larry
    I think I could use a couple of your boards Larry. 3.5" to 5.25" conversion kits used to come with nice boards like you are describing - now they are simply
    stubby little things that plug into the 3.5" drive merely to convert the pin connector to edge card.

I'll go back to a pure 5.25" drive system for now - since I have multiples of those.

Pete has since told me that not only is BOOTLOAD/CMD reliant on LDOS - but that the PUT file transfer is adding garbage to the hexfile when transferring to a floppy while running NewDOS/80.
    So - the odds are good, my attempt at using the 720K 3.5" drive really was working (as long as I only used it single sided) its the update utility that wasn't.

I seem to be blazing a new trail by using a MIRE with NewDos/80

Jim

I've used MIRE with TRSDOS and NEWDOS 2.1 a bit, just none of the tools.

The only thing I would be careful with is my experience using Percom as a doubler throws strange behavior. I've stuck with Radio Shack and much better consistency.

Nothing that makes me not enjoy the device, just be aware you may need to be careful with that if you are having issues.

After a lot of back and forth between Pete and myself - the issue with his tools being not fully compatible with NewDOS/80 has been addressed. He supplied me with a new version of DSK/CMD and BOOTLOAD/CMD and I was able to successfully transfer the .hex file to my 1/2 formatted 3.5" disk and use BOOTLOAD/CMD to upgrade the PIC.

He then patiently helped me with a USB Blaster issue I ran into - and I finally was able to upgrade the FPGA also.
    Of course now the MIRE is upgraded - which means the experimental DSK/CMD and BOOTLOAD/CMD are now incompatible until he creates a new release that synchronizes everything.

Pete has been great throughout this process - his support, like his hardware is top notch.

Now to cut and jumper pin 2 of 3.5" floppy cable to a ground and see if that allows me to use both sides.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post

He then patiently helped me with a USB Blaster issue I ran into - and I finally was able to upgrade the FPGA also.
    Of course now the MIRE is upgraded - which means the experimental DSK/CMD and BOOTLOAD/CMD are now incompatible until he creates a new release that synchronizes everything.

Pete has been great throughout this process - his support, like his hardware is top notch.
    Thanks for the kind words.

As far as the MIRE is concerned, all the updates are now available:

http://bartlettlabs.com/MIRE/doc/unified.html