Image Map Image Map

Thread: Bad Filter Cap in a 5150

Default Bad Filter Cap in a 5150

This weekend at VCFMW I had someone with MUCH better hearing than my own finally track down the source of the annoying whistle/whine in my 5150. Turns out it's the speaker! He suggested that there must be a bad filter cap somewhere on the motherboard that is causing feedback on the speaker. So my question is, what's the best way to tackle this? I'm not much of a hardware guy, but I'm willing to try and troubleshoot this. Do I just start replacing every cap I see that might be connected to the speaker until the noise stops? Where are all the filter caps on the 5150 located? This is the latest revision of the board that supports 640K.

There are lots of capacitors on a 5150 an 5160, but they come in three varieties, the ceramic capacitors, the tantalum capacitors and the variable capacitor. The ceramic and the tantalums look similar, but the tantalums are usually larger and use three legs while the ceramics use only two legs. I'd start with replacing the tantalums first, since they carry much more capacitance than the ceramics and are more likely to fail. The tantalums can explode when they fail.

However, this does not definitely mean that the capacitors on your board are the culprit. It could easily be a capacitor or some other component on an expansion card, a disk drive or the power supply. Marginal power supplies are a prime source of hum.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

I suppose I can try removing all the cards and see if that helps. That's an easy first step.

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    This is the latest revision of the board that supports 640K.
    With the 10/27/82 revision BIOS fitted, both the 16KB-64KB motherboard and 64KB-256KB motherboard support 640K total.
    But it sounds like you have a 64KB-256KB motherboard.

This weekend at VCFMW I had someone with MUCH better hearing than my own finally track down the source of the annoying whistle/whine in my 5150. Turns out it's the speaker!
    Presumably proven by removing the speaker.

He suggested that there must be a bad filter cap somewhere on the motherboard that is causing feedback on the speaker.
    Because the other end of the speaker is connected to an an open-collector driver (the 75477 chip below), I would not have thought that above-average ripple on the +5V line would cause the symptom.
    I think that added to the possible-cause list should be:
    * Faulty capacitor C9 (breaking down)
    * Faulty 75477 chip

Where are all the filter caps on the 5150 located?
    +5V filter caps on 16KB-64KB motherboard - see photo at [here].
    +5V filter caps on 64KB-256KB motherboard - see photo at [here].

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    But it sounds like you have a 64KB-256KB motherboard.
    Yes it's the 64KB-256KB motherboard.

Presumably proven by removing the speaker.
    No we didn't remove the speaker. But it's pretty obvious the sound is coming from the speaker.

Because the other end of the speaker is connected to an an open-collector driver (the 75477 chip below), I would not have thought that above-average ripple on the +5V line would cause the symptom.
    I think that added to the possible-cause list should be:
    * Faulty capacitor C9 (breaking down)
    * Faulty 75477 chip
    I can look at those. I assume the 75477 is soldered in? Removing that may be beyond my skills, but I can probably get the capacitor out.
    Last edited by tempest; September 12th, 2017 at 08:54 AM.

No we didn't remove the speaker. But it's pretty obvious the sound is coming from the speaker.
    But not obvious enough for you to have tracked down the whistle/whine source by yourself. Removing the speaker is simple. Imagine removing the speaker and discovering that the noise is still present.

I assume the 75477 is soldered in?
    It is on the two boards that I have just looked at.

But not obvious enough for you to have tracked down the whistle/whine source by yourself. .
    That's because my hearing is crap. I'm honestly amazed I heard the noise at all. Years of working in a server room will do that to you.