Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norcom Model 3 clone

Default Norcom Model 3 clone

I pulled out my Norcom Model 3 clone today. I've had it for several years and other than a quick test when I first got it never did anything with it. I thought I'd check it out tonight. It's very dirty and the keys stick and when I did the quick test years ago one of the columns of keys didn't respond.

The screen was stable during the quick test but now it rolls. Also the display blanks out. It's going to take quite a bit of work to restore it. I'll most likely put it aside for a while.

In the meantime I've dumped the three ROMs (two 2764s with BASIC and one 2716 character generator ROM). Looking through the BASIC ROMs it looks like it's just the Model III ROMs but I haven't verified.

I took three pictures of the system board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Always liked the idea of a Model III in a Model I case. I remember the ads in 80micro... they only ran for a short time then vanished.

I wonder how many they produced? Probably less than 1000...

Ian.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

Interesting. So this was marketed as a drop in Model III replacement board for your Model I?

This leads to an interesting question. What is needed other than a ROM replacement to make a Model I fully Model III compatible?

Port vs Memory mapping is one thing, the IO bus, and disk controller are a few others.

Looking at the connectors on the board, am I correct in assuming that the two 36 pin connectors are Drive 0+1 and Drive 2+3? Or is one for all 4 drives and the other a parallel port? The 50 pin is obvious enough.

Does that also mean you don't have any serial connection?

PJH

There is a pin header in middle of board for RS232. I assume one is the printer and the other is the floppy port.

What's annoying is that maybe these have come up on eBay from time to time but since they look the same as Model 1s we may missed them due to not seeing a photo of the rear of the computer.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

I never noticed the adds in 80micro for this. So can someone give a bit more of an overview? Did you order the board and it was up to you to provide the rest (keyboard, modified M1 case, power, ...) or did they sell them as full units?

PJH

I'm thinking late 84 - early 85 were the ads. I'll have a look when I get home. If memory serves you can install it yourself or send them your M1 keyboard unit to upgrade it for a small fee.

One 34-pin connector is the floppy connector, the other 34-pin is the parallel port, and the 50-pin is the I/O bus.

As Tibs pointed out, the connector in the middle is the RS232 board connector. I don't have that board.