Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norcom Model 3 clone

Quote Originally Posted by TRS-Ian View Post
    I'm thinking late 84 - early 85 were the ads. I'll have a look when I get home. If memory serves you can install it yourself or send them your M1 keyboard unit to upgrade it for a small fee.
    Based on the hacked case I imagine this one was a self-install. It almost looks like someone took a hammer to the back of the top case and knocked out the plastic vents.

Quote Originally Posted by TRS-Ian View Post
    What's annoying is that maybe these have come up on eBay from time to time but since they look the same as Model 1s we may missed them due to not seeing a photo of the rear of the computer.
    The guy I got it from told me it was a Model I. He threw it in with the other TRS-80 stuff I bought from him. He got it from someone else and never bothered checking it out. He just remarked that the top case was busted.

Ads for the TC-III ran in 80-Micro from December 1983 through December 1984. Here's the announcement in the January 1984 New Products section:
    Norcom TC-III 80 Micro 1984-01 New Products.jpg
    Logical Upgrade

The Norcom TC-III is a new replacement logic board assembly for the Model I that provides you with full Model III performance. It features dual-density floppy disk controller, 48K RAM, optional on-board RS-232, parallel printer port, and dual speed cassette I/O. It also has reverse video character set, on-board audio driver for a speaker, and high readability character font.

All known software and accessories for the Model III will run on the TC-III, including machine-language programs. And all cassette, disk, printer, and I/O bus connectors match those on the Model III. The Norcom TC-III costs $399 and requires installation. The RS-232 option, fully assembled, costs $50. Both are sold by Northern Technology Corporation, 2350 Brickvale Drive, Elk Grove, IL.
    That's a fascinating board. I'd love to see a higher-resolution photo if you have one (perhaps post it at imgur.com, which doesn't share Vcfed's way-too-small size limit for uploads).

I like that they gave you 28-pin ROM A and B sockets, plus a 24-pin ROM C socket, apparently allowing you to either use a real Model III 3-chip ROM set (with its not-so-standard 24-pin 8k x 8 ROM), or easily burn two standard 28-pin 2764 EPROMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrofsky View Post
    Ads for the TC-III ran in 80-Micro from December 1983 through December 1984. Here's the announcement in the January 1984 New Products section:
    Norcom TC-III 80 Micro 1984-01 New Products.jpg

That's a fascinating board. I'd love to see a higher-resolution photo if you have one (perhaps post it at imgur.com, which doesn't share Vcfed's way-too-small size limit for uploads).

I like that they gave you 28-pin ROM A and B sockets, plus a 24-pin ROM C socket, apparently allowing you to either use a real Model III 3-chip ROM set (with its not-so-standard 24-pin 8k x 8 ROM), or easily burn two standard 28-pin 2764 EPROMs.
    I'll try to get some higher resolution photos this weekend.

The next advert. on the .jpg sounds interesting too. Xenix on a M2!! There's something for Pascal & Hans to get their teeth in to

Quote Originally Posted by Dustym View Post
    The next advert. on the .jpg sounds interesting too. Xenix on a M2!! There's something for Pascal & Hans to get their teeth in to
    That DPO card is a holy grail item for Model II enthusiasts. I'm not aware of any currently in existence.

Good find.

Would be nice to see and have these DPO card, I am very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans01 View Post
    Good find.

Would be nice to see and have these DPO card, I am very interested.
    There is a detailed review of the DPO card in several issues of two/sixteen magazine which you can find in the model2archive. I don't remember which issues off hand.

Pete thanks for your good memory.

For those who want to read a review, look here.

two-sixteen_magazine_2_4_Jan-Feb_1984.pdf
    two-sixteen_magazine_3_2_July-Aug_1984.pdf

In the Model II archive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I'll try to get some higher resolution photos this weekend.
    I uploaded the originals and you can see more detail.

http://www.dittman.net/norcom1.jpg
    http://www.dittman.net/norcom2.jpg
    http://www.dittman.net/norcom3.jpg