Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Are vintage computers doomed in the long run?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Exactly what I've been saying. A "computer" in 200 years might well be viewed the same way that we view an abacus. Quaint, but hardly capable of doing things needed for complex work today. The better question is that, in 200 years, will the computers have any use for "vintage" humans?
    Oh I see, but I don't think computers will cease to exist, they will just evolve greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    An 88 T-bird is a breeze to keep going. A 98 is a nightmare.

In 87 GM led the way, and by 96 all cars were electrical disasters. By 2005 they all seemed to get a lot better.

The newest car I ever owned was a 91. My current daily driver is a 90. This is no accident; I have quite a bit of experience working on cars, and I don't want to own anything newer than that if I can avoid it.

My computers will work for my lifetime. If anyone cares to keep them working beyond that, read 3pcedev.
    I now drive a 2000 Civic. Probably the newest Civic I'll ever get.

about 18 years ago I sold an '87 Civic Si. I still miss that car...

I expect simulators will outnumber reproduced ICs, except for the hardcore gearheads.

Quote Originally Posted by FishFinger View Post
    Russia was still making new nixie tubes in reasonable volume until at least the late 80s or early 90s. I bought two boxes of 50 from Ukraine a few years ago and they arrived sealed in the original boxes with a 1988 date on them. I'd bet there are still tens if not hundreds of thousands of them still sitting in warehouses.
    I know of musicians & audio enthusiasts who buy Russian vacuum tubes to maintain older amps & tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I know of musicians & audio enthusiasts who buy Russian vacuum tubes to maintain older amps & tuners.
    I'm glad they do, it keeps them in production. But in most cases they do it not because they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I think it depends on the generation too. Classic cars really appealed to a different generation than mine. I'm sure in 10 years or so it might be a fad, today its just the diehards.
    How many people in Singapore own a car more than 10 years old?
    Dwight