Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8-bit ISA VGA card.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    But that's not true. Manufacturers made cards to work in both 8-bit slots and 16-bit slots because there was still an 8-bit market they could make money from. It wasn't just VGA cards: Many memory boards, network cards, sound cards, hard drive controller cards, etc. were designed specifically to work in 8-bit slots in the mid- to late-1980s.

So, they were used "back in the era", and as such only "look out-of-place in an XT" if you didn't use XTs in the latter half of the 1980s.
    Well, I've seen plenty of XT clones, and from back in the era I can't recall any with a 16-bit card.
    It was much later, when TTL monitors became rare, that people installed 16-bit VGAs in XTs.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of 286+ machines with 8-bit VGAs, NICs, sound cards, proprietary CD-ROM controllers. And of course I/O, but these were 8-bit until the very end of ISA.
    I've got a Pentium 133 machine which came with a SB 2.0, probably from 1994.
    8-bit cards were available longer than XTs, I can't believe it was common to install 16-bit cards in XTs when 16-bit stuff was more expensive.

Thanks, i forgot to ask the price...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xacalite View Post
    Well, I've seen plenty of XT clones, and from back in the era I can't recall any with a 16-bit card.
    It was much later, when TTL monitors became rare, that people installed 16-bit VGAs in XTs.
    Keep in mind our experiences are different. My experience was in the USA; I'm guessing from your location that your experience was Poland.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Keep in mind our experiences are different. My experience was in the USA; I'm guessing from your location that your experience was Poland.
    Of course, mostly Poland, also Germany and other European countries.
    PCs around here were obviously made cheaper than those in the USA.
    But still, in late 80s XTs were low-end, so I'm surprised that people installed expensive 16-bit gear in low-end boxes.