Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, this is just unfortunate

Quote Originally Posted by Kazblox View Post
    Anyone know how to maneuver the drive bays on this thing without breaking any vital parts?
    Look under the bottom drive from the front, there is a bendy piece of metal running from left to right. You need to put a screwdriver in there and push down on it, and the whole lot will slide forward.

m24drivebay.jpg
    Bobby.

(Looking for Olivetti M24/AT&T 6300 Keyboard - but I'm in AUS!)

Thanks. As we are currently speaking, I'm installing my CT1350B into this machine right now. Looks to pass the power up test without a hitch.
    Join your local penny pincher movement today!

So, bad drive it is! The drive that I got from eBay, the Shugart SA-455, works fine here! Looks like I'll have to do some good cleaning on the other drive to get it to work... But for now, the Shugart stays. Be on the look out as I post further updates in a newer thread, once I get the HDD plate and the case assembled back together in an orderly fashion.

Aaargh, the drive assembly won't lock in now! I correctly assembled the metal plate that goes along with that "bendy metal" or whatever bobba84 calls it. While it slides in, it still can be moved outwards without even trying. Anyone have a picture of what the assembly is supposed to look like locked in?

The trick is those shiny silver bits in the rails about half way back. If they are bent down it doesn't hold it in. You can see my (left) one is a bit bent. Check the part at the front you pushed down to release it isn't bent too far down either.

IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    Bobby.

I see that the protruding silver in the middle of the rail plate is supposed to be behind the bendy metal.... However, the farthest I can get through it is when it stays on the top of the metal...

EDIT: I can also see that the silver bit in the middle of the left plastic rail is extremely bent down. Zoinks!
    Last edited by Kazblox; October 13th, 2017 at 03:59 AM.

From memory I think I had to push the bendy metal back down to get it to go further, and it took quite a hard press on the front of the drive to make it go all the way. But I don't want you to break it! So maybe take it back out remove the bottom plate form the drive, and try with that by itself... and see if you can see what's going on?
    Bobby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kazblox View Post
    I see that the protruding silver in the middle of the rail plate is supposed to be behind the bendy metal.... However, the farthest I can get through it is when it stays on the top of the metal...

EDIT: I can also see that the silver bit in the middle of the left plastic rail is extremely bent down. Zoinks!
    Rather than guessing, have you downloaded the service manual and other documentation for the 6300? Some of these issues, like removing the floppy drive cage, are covered...

Happy to see you've got it working. Make sure to clip that battery off of the motherboard!
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

OK, cage issues solved. All I had to do was to apply..... firm pressure. The cage plate somehow didn't want to snap in when I was jamming it with hard force, or I was either lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Rather than guessing, have you downloaded the service manual and other documentation for the 6300? Some of these issues, like removing the floppy drive cage, are covered...

Happy to see you've got it working. Make sure to clip that battery off of the motherboard!
    I knew it from the Service Manual in the beginning, but forgot that specific part somehow before bobba84 posted the same excerpt from the book. And yes, I did remove the battery on first sight! It already corroded, but nothing looked damaged. Looking to solder a new rechargeable 3V holder onto the thing soon! Hard disk looks like it's having some serious trouble after doing a short power-on test, so I'm going to do some Spinrite on this thing...

EDIT: Or never mind! The hard drive somehow worked beautifully again after booting into my DOS 6.22 disk.
    Last edited by Kazblox; October 13th, 2017 at 02:32 PM.