Image Map Image Map

Thread: Zenith Data Systems ZWL-183-92 Power Issues

Default Zenith Data Systems ZWL-183-92 Power Issues

I have had this Zenith Data Systems ZWL-183-92 for a couple years now.

When I first got it, it only booted from the hard drive, when the battery was in and charged, but then the battery blew up.

Now it will start with the power adaptor, but It won't boot from the hard drive, only from floppy, and it also turns on the red low power light and beeps.

With a BIOS date of 1986, this is tied with my Macintosh SE as my oldest system.

I have read somewhere that zenith powers things through the battery, so that could explain why it worked fine with the battery in.

Now that I have no battery, is there anyway to change the power route, or attach something to where the battery connects to get power through there?

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

After booting from a floppy the HD works, right?

If so, you can then transfer control to the HD with this:

SET COMSPEC = C:\COMMAND.COM

Then you can remove the floppy (boot) disk and the machine will run as if it had been booted from the HD, i.e., reloading the transient portion of COMMAND.COM from C:.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    After booting from a floppy the HD works, right?

If so, you can then transfer control to the HD with this:

SET COMSPEC = C:\COMMAND.COM

Then you can remove the floppy (boot) disk and the machine will run as if it had been booted from the HD, i.e., reloading the transient portion of COMMAND.COM from C:.
    Never tested that before. I will test it soon.

EDIT: It says "invalid drive specification", so no it doesn't work. I'd expect the lack of proper power to be the culprit.
    Last edited by ScanDisk; September 13th, 2017 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    I have read somewhere that zenith powers things through the battery, so that could explain why it worked fine with the battery in.
    I have the ZFL-181-93, and it works fine without a battery. Don't know if that information would help you in any way.
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Thinkpad 385ED, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B", VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: Inexpensive 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, 486 Desktop, C64.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    It says "invalid drive specification", so no it doesn't work. I'd expect the lack of proper power to be the culprit.
    You've checked the CMOS setup and the HD is still correctly configured, right?
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You've checked the CMOS setup and the HD is still correctly configured, right?
    I'm not sure as I don't see anything like that in the BIOS, but when I run disk tests it's light comes on, and it always fails.

Blog Entries

You can access the rom monitor ok with ctrl-alt-ins or pressing esc on startup?
    Type ? and press enter. This will give you a whole lot of options. Option B is Boot from disk [0,1,2,3].

BW0:1 enter should boot from the first partion of the hard drive(or rigid disk as the manual refers to it as.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; September 13th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    You can access the rom monitor ok with ctrl-alt-ins or pressing esc on startup?
    Type ? and press enter. This will give you a whole lot of options. Option B is Boot from disk [0,1,2,3].
    No,

but I can get something with CTRL + ALT + ENTER