Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintagecomputermuseum Trying A New Scam?

EBay is not going to do anything about anything because the seller are who they make they money on.

Why would they police dirty practices and cost themselves profit?

As for warehousing, well, those are the least of my costs and nothing compared to what my technicians cost to insure that the my items work, work right and are within specs. And I know that they are doing their jobs because we don't GET return requests and I happen to have been servicing a lot of this stuff when it was brand new.

Sure, my prices may be on the high side of average, but, unlike "it worked last time I used it" items, our stuff will work the next time YOU use it.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid6900 View Post
    unlike "it worked last time I used it" items, our stuff will work the next time YOU use it.
    Everyone knows that's impossible to guarantee as it stands so I'm sure your policy includes... 'and in the unlikely case it doesn't we offer totally free replacement'.

Obviously, there's no guarantee that anything electronic is going to work the next time you switch it on.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid6900 View Post
    EBay is not going to do anything about anything because the seller are who they make they money on.

Why would they police dirty practices and cost themselves profit?

---snip---
    It is kind of like a ponzi scheme. Eventually they will run out of suckers. When that happens their market intake will drop like a rock. Ebay won't understand it but it will do them in over time. We are not producing babies fast enough to keep them in business long. It is short term thinking.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Everyone knows that's impossible to guarantee as it stands so I'm sure your policy includes... 'and in the unlikely case it doesn't we offer totally free replacement'.

Obviously, there's no guarantee that anything electronic is going to work the next time you switch it on.
    I don't know. The situation has never arisen. We've never had someone say that something they bought was DOA or have had anything come back for repair.

We have had people get in touch with us asking for some fine points on how to connect or utilize their purchase correctly, but, in the event that something did fail to operate, after calling them and determining the problem, if a free replacement was necessary after the item was returned and tested, they would get it.

Just as their is no guarantee that it will work, there is none that it won't work either.

Should it ever occur, you are on the list of people to notify immediately.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post

Actually, I warranty the Compupro Stuff (except for a few mostly old revision Compupro Boards sold bargain basement as "Experimenter's Specials And Not Working), and most working floppy disk drives that I sell (I will sell parts drives that don't work As-Is, No Warranty, and I tell the Buyer that they don't work) for six months. And during the warranty period, I will fix anything I sold that stops working, AS LONG AS IT WAS NOT ALTERED, MODIFIED, OR DAMAGED BY THE BUYER. I offer this warranty because I am confident that everything I offer for sale is in good working condition, and should stay that way for the immediate future. I haven't gotten a Compupro Board or other Compupro Component back for a warranty repair in over twenty years, and I have been trading in Compupro Stuff since the early 1980s.

I have serviced and sold hundreds (or thousands of primarily) 8" floppy drives. And gotten back very few that had problems. Actually, I did get one back last year that had an alignment problem, and a second one from the same customer that had a failed logic board. I didn't sell or service the logic board for the customer, so that was not a warranty repair, and I didn't charge the customer to diagnose or swap the logic board from his spare/parts drive. I didn't charge this same customer to testing several other drives that he brought back not working even though the problem was caused by his use of old deteriorating disks that had gunked up the heads on the drives (which was the only problem).

So, vintage computer sellers (vintage computer parts sellers) could offer and support a Genuine Warranty if they choose to, depending on where they stand on selling price. In my Opinion, if a Seller charges a high price, he should be willing to stand behind the product.

Sellers like vintagecomputermuseum anger me, they give Sellers a Bad Name. While charging ridiculous prices, they make up stories to peddle they're junk, and refuse to stand behind what they know is junk. They claim they do not know anything about the items they are selling, and they claim that they can't test the items they are selling, on the other hand they sell some items claiming that they work.

Most of the people I come in contact with from this Website are not looking to pay for services, I am constantly asked to supply free copies of copyrighted materials by people who think they are entitled to get software for free just because it's old. I don't mind giving away some free advice. I don't fix floppy drives for free. It's not free for me, Alignment Disks have a finite service life, and using them wears them out. People seem to think that I should be giving away hardware, because they claim they are Hobbyists, and don't have the budget to pay for hardware.

I Genuinely Feel/Hope that you get what you pay for if you choose to by from other people. A Cheap Price does not make a good deal, unless the thing works, or at least provides the parts that you think you are getting. BUT in most cases you get what you pay for. Pay pennies, and get JUNK. Pay a LOT, and you deserve to get something of value, but depending on the Seller, you may still get JUNK. Do research before buying from anybody who you have not purchased from successfully before. Pay a reasonable amount for items after discussing all of the terms with the Seller. Inquire about a specific Seller before laying out the "big bucks". If you take a chance on a cheap deal, don't be surprised if it blows up in your face.

I totally agree with your assessment and that was one of the main reasons I got off of FeeBay and built my own site.

My ratings (Druid123) had always been good, but, the scammers and people selling stuff they had no clue about were dragging the niche down.

Sure, I don't have the potential buying audience that there was on FeeBay, but, I get enough to make a living and I don't have people who can't even figure out how to turn on what they are selling, couldn't ship a toothpick in a briefcase and have it arrive in one piece and other miscreant that are more interested in selling any kind of crap than something called service casting doubt on the integrity of sellers that do care.

It hasn't got much better since I left. If anything, it's getting worse.

To my mind, unless a piece of Vintage/Legacy equipment is shown working, it doesn't.

It is like gambling. When someone is not an obvious scam artist (language in the ads typically gives it away) it can be fun to buy items and roll the dice. Managed to get a CT1300 for a good price that way recently. Plus other cool stuff. Plus when people do not describe items very accurately or list at is used (e.g. working) there is always eBay buyer protection (although it has become more bureaucratic and much slower).

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLI View Post
    Plus when people do not describe items very accurately or list at is used (e.g. working) there is always eBay buyer protection (although it has become more bureaucratic and much slower).
    Yep and that is what keeps me on ebay. If it was working last time you used it and you did not break it in the mean time it should still be working. If its not then it goes back. At least that is how ebay sees it and that takes care of a ton of scammers.

I also bid according. If I expect something to be broken or not working I don't bid very high. If I don't win no big deal another one will come along soon enough. I also don't subscribe to the storage cost argument. Yes, storage cost money, and yes there is opportunity cost but lets be real: you are price gouging not because it cost you $0.10 a month to store something for ten years but because you have a desperate buyer and you can.

We have a huge warehouse (nothing to do with computers) with lots of parts for lamps. Some of them have been sitting around since the 1950s - we just run across stuff as we move things around. It doesn't suddenly make them more valuable because we have had them in storage (and moved them TWICE from different warehouses). They are still scrap metal unless we need them for a new project or someone wants to buy them.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Anything sold as used on ebay is supposed to work or you get a refund (don't matter what disclaimers you have).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Anything sold as used on ebay is supposed to work or you get a refund (don't matter what disclaimers you have).
    Sure, if you have that kind of time to waste.

I helped someone recently, get the money back from a creamed TRS-80 Model III.

Took pictures of the box, took pictures of the computer, took pictures of the (lack of) packing materials, took the case top off to show the neckless CRT sitting on the bottom deck, packed it all back up, shipped it back, waited 3 weeks and FINALLY, the person received their money back.

Then I sold them a 128K badged dual drive Model 4 for less than they paid for the 48K Model III.

If the person hadn't got in touch with me and asked if we could fix the Model III, they'd be out the computer AND the money.