Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amiga 500 upgrade with Vampire 2

Default Amiga 500 upgrade with Vampire 2

In a post earlier this year someone suggested I consider adding a Vampire accelerator to one of my A500s instead of looking for another, faster Amiga, e.g. 2000, 3000, 4000.

My search is not going well, and I thought I might ask here:

Does anyone have a Vampire accelerator in use?
    Where did you obtain it and for how much?
    Do you know of any downside to its use?

Thanks for your replies.

-CH-

in order.

I have a vampire acelerator in use yes.
    I get it from here http://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/ just registered in the wait list, it taken almost a year from the start to getting the board, cost is 300 euros now i payed more.
    I don't see any downside from it, you plug it on your amiga write apollo-os to a compact flash card and power up nothing more.
    The only missing ting for me is it lacks networking and the amiga 500 don't have a pcmcia connector so you are limited at this time to sdnet (a ethernet modulo to microsd slot) or the plipbox.

Thanks for your reply.

I noticed one for sale on eBay and contracted the seller, Majsta, with a few questions such as I asked here.

He replied that due to eBay restrictions he could not speak about any of the topics, having been constrained by the eBay sales force. He suggested I find the answers on my own.

I did find his site, Amiga FPGA accelerators / http://www.majsta.com/, but when I tried to find more information by creating an account my access was blocked. I saw mention that AmigaKit had entered into a reseller relationship with Majsta, but their site (US) did not mention any of his products.

Thanks again for your responses; I'll get in queue.

-CH-

You should register here http://www.apollo-core.com/ in the apollo core forum there you can ask anthing about the vampire.
    Majesta Gunnar and all the hardware developers are there.

I filled out the "interest" form. I'll wait for notification from Apollo-core on availability.

Thanks for the lead.

-CH-

Would you be interested in a Bodega Bay? You could install a standard Ethernet card in that, and a bunch of other things.

? The California coastal inlet?

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    ? The California coastal inlet?

-CH-
    The A500 Zorro bus expansion box.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm not familiar with the Bodega Bay expansion hardware and haven't found a description of its abilities. I did find a picture on Google; it looks as though it was similar in concept to an IBM 5161 but made to fit an Amiga 500. Comments on some Amiga sites have suggested it turns your 500 into a 2000, sorta. Why not just buy a 2000?

I received notice from the Apollo Group that a card is available. I have seven days in which to purchase, otherwise it goes to someone else. I think I'll go that route; smaller footprint.

Thanks again.

-CH-

It almost turns it into a A2000. But no video slot.